Identity-as-performance

In class this week, we read an article from E. Pearson titled, “All the World Wide Web’s a stage: The Performance of Identity in online social networks.” She refers to this concept of “identity-as-performance” (created by Goffman) where a person puts on a performance that is fitting to their setting. I think this is something we do every day – our ‘work performance’ may be different from our ‘friends performance’, which may be different from our ‘family performance.’ Pearson then points out that these performances may start to blend and your audience can now get a peek at your front-stage and back-stage persona, thanks to social media. This could then lead to a person to be cautious of how they present themselves, which leads to a new performance identity.

Some of the questions we were given to think over:

• What is your preferred role as a participant in social settings?
    In social settings with friends, I am the quiet one. I prefer to listen to my friends and will say a comment here and there. Though there are a few people I can talk endlessly to. In regards to my parents, I think there is an equal amount of talking that occurs between the three of us. 
  • In social media do you like to “speak up” and participate? watch/observe/lurk?
    I think I am more of an observer in social settings, both online and physically. I like to read people’s statuses and thoughts on issues and every once in a while, I will ‘like’ or comment back. I have always been a shy and quiet person, which also reflects online.
  • Are you a non-participator?
    I don’t consider myself a non-participator, but I observe more than I comment.
  • What might be an optimum solution for you in your work as an information professional? (ie., it may depend on what your job title is; is there an official “code of conduct” or social media policy?)
    If I ever post anything regarding work on my personal social sites, I try to keep it positive because, in the back of my mind, what I say could go back to my supervisors, and I would not want to be a bad reflection to the institution. I also try to promote events and activities that my institution might be holding just so I can help them reach a wider audience.
    If I were given the task to be in charge of social media, I would also keep posts positive and/or informational. This would be an issue I would have to discuss with my supervisor and any other related parties since this social media will be representing all of us in the institution.

5 thoughts on “Identity-as-performance

1. Do you feel that you are more extroverted, or more of a contributor, online because it is a more anonymous space? I am curious how you see this difference in your identity online and offline.

2. I think I am still an introvert online, though I will contribute to certain conversations. For example, if someone posts a status on Facebook and I think a comment would be appropriate, then I’ll type something. Though I’m a lot more “talkative” on Twitter.

3. In regards to your response to Colleen, I’m just curious if you have any reason as to why you’re more “talkative” on Twitter, in part because our group was looking at elements that add to and detract from Reddit and Twitter and also because I haven’t used Twitter all too much. Is it the interface?

4. Hi Phoebe! Despite the 140 character limit on Twitter, I find it easier to rant…? I’m not sure if that’s really the right word, but for the most part whenever I use Twitter, I just say what random thought is on my mind. I also think it’s because most of my followers also follow so many more people, so my tweet will just get lost in the crowd and it may not be read. So I guess I kind of use Twitter as venting, though I tweet both positive and negative things.

5. I am finally getting around to your blogpost on module II, part I.
    Well done, I like this a lot. I especially like the use of bullet points and question/answer format taken from the module.

Answering these questions was, I hope, a useful exercise. It helps you determine more accurately what your comfort levels are, and how you might take on a social media presence in your career.