Teaching Philsophy

Teaching is a journey that is meant to be travelled as a collaborative group. My classroom practices are a reflection of this. It is vital and beneficial for me to model a positive, encouraging and equal attitude towards the learning environment, students and colleagues. My philosophy does not only encompass striving to be a reputable teacher but is also geared towards student centered learning. When instructing students I am clear, detailed and patient about the expectations and objectives and the short or long-term academic goal that is set for them. I also encourage each individual student to set their own academic goals and guide them in taking steps to achieve this. I know each student is different and because of this I hope to appeal to them based on their own parameters for their abilities. In order to cater to my students needs I need to be aware of what they may be. I plan on communicating with parents, counselors, teaching assistants, and the student’s other teachers regularly to be aware of the student’s progress, needs, and concerns. My classroom will strive for the categorical approach and serve each student based on his or her need.
Since I feel teaching is a journey I also stress the importance of hearing and respecting all voices and input within the classroom. No voice will be disregarded in my room. My personal teaching philosophy also embodies the significance of creativity; I encourage and applaud student creativity. I believe that each student has unique ideas that they can bring into the classroom. I’d like for my room to be a
place where they can explore their creativity within the assignments and flourish. I think it is crucial for students to be comfortable with their own voices, opinions and work and encourage them to push the boundaries, think outside of the box and produce what is their own. I hope to foster an environment where any student with any ability can develop and feel safe. Most importantly I feel it is beneficial to the students’ well being and learning if they know that they have an adult who genuinely cares about them and their progress. By encouraging students on a daily basis I hope to instill feelings of well being and academic accomplishment within the atmosphere.