Tips for when you get sick on campus: DON’T

I have been back on campus for a week now (a WEEK, man, why does UBC start this early?) and yet I have not posted. Why, do I hear you cry? Because I got sick and it was debilitating and I survived and now here I am. Blogging.

It wasn’t really that bad, just a fever/cold/cough/ache/thing, but it sucked because nothing sucks more than getting sick on campus. And I really love a moan, so let me just moan for a second about how the Totem caff’s food is truly unappetising when you’re sick, you can’t focus on the readings for all the classes you’re supposed to be going to, and no one is there to tell you to stop feeling sorry for yourself and get to class already.

But I am trying to think of positives to being sick, for this post would otherwise be a pointless one, so here are three things that got me through the sickness:

1. Magda’s – if you’re a Totem Park resident, you and Magda will already be firm friends, and for anyone who doesn’t know what Magda’s is, it’s the 5:30-11:30pm grill and mini-market in the Totem Park commonsblock. But while I was sick I didn’t exactly fancy chicken strips – Magda’s do, however, stock a small but relatively comprehensive range of medicines for your every cold/flu/cough/stomach bug related need. Wunderbar.
  2. Netflix – the wonders of a ruined attention span because of a fever don’t matter when you have a whole catalogue of movies and shows to watch. And it’ll even keep your place for later if you decide (like I did) that The Hour is just too high-brow watching for your brain right now and switch to Clueless! Netflix doesn’t sponsor me – I wish – but if it did, I couldn’t love it more than I already do.
  3. Warm things – endless blankets, pajamas, insane amounts of tea (and, not a warm thing, but the amount of orange juice I have drunk in the last few days must be record breaking. Be boosted, my immune system! Boosted!), soup, sweaters (or jumpers to little old British me), and the heating turned up for the first time since I got here. Warm things, guys. They make the world go around and they make lives better.

(If you promise not to tell anyone I will reveal to you secret no. 4: that boyband I have to pretend not to like because I am too old to be their target audience brought out a video this week, and it is, at once, insane, ridiculous, and delightful. We will speak no more of it.) (One Direction are a plague on my existence. You think I’m not serious. I am deadly serious.)