Elevator Speech

The elevator speech is a very short introduction of yourself used in situations where you
are meeting a lot of people and probably not spending a great deal of time with any one
of them. Events specifically designed for networking such as career fairs and trade
shows are perfect situations to use your elevator speech. The elevator speech is about
15-30 seconds and may or may not be the prelude to a lengthier conversation. The trick
is to make your talk so intriguing that people will want to spend more time talking with
you. Try to make the speech professional and interesting but be careful it is not too
smooth or hokey as that will put people off. And always have a business card and
resume ready to hand the person so they can get extra information on you and your
experiences.

Resources:

Elevator Speech Examples – October 2002 Work Experience Course AGRO/FNH 497

Mark Bomford

My name is Mark. I’m currently completing my Agroecology Degree, and have a
background as a manager for an urban agricultural non-profit. I have strong computer
skills, with experience in web design, network management, and programming. I spend
much of my time exploring communication design, and am seeking to work in an area
that incorporates agroecology and site design.

Joel Gfeller

My name is Joel Gfeller. My passion for food and my knowledge of science have brought
me to UBC to study Food Science. I am extremely comfortable working with people and
have a great deal of experience working in labs. I see my future consisting of continual
chef training and working overseas for high-end food service companies.

Eiman Raouf

My name is Eiman Raouf. I have a Bachelor of Science in Food Science. I am loyal, hard
working and am able to perform various laboratory techniques and have a passion for
the food industry. My future goals are to operate and manage a food processing plant,
be a food safety consultant or a Research and Development scientist.

Anita Ho

My name is Anita Ho. I am currently in UBC in the program of Food Science and
minoring in Commerce. I have experience working with Microsoft Office, spreadsheets,
word processing and designing websites. I have laboratory skills such as: Titrations, pH
measurement and recrystallizations. I am good at creating ideas, solving problems,
selling ideas and meeting goals. My future goal is to work in the Ministry of Agriculture in
International Relations. .

This entry was posted in Career and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.