Updated: Extended deadline!
Get Rooted! Community-Based Youth Leadership Project Call for Applications
May 23, 2015 – August 31, 2015 Richmond, BC
Do you believe that food is an important part of our lives and culture? Do you believe that every person should have access to safe, nutritious, and culturally appropriate foods? Do you want to know how our food choices affect our environment and local community? Do you have an idea that you want to put into action? And most importantly, do you believe that you can make a change?
If these questions get you thinking, then Get Rooted! may be for you!
Get Rooted! Is a youth-driven summer leadership project aimed at providing youth with the knowledge, skills, and networks to build a just and sustainable food future. As part of Get Rooted!, you will undergo expert-led workshops and hands-on learning experiences that will prepare you to initiate a funded project of your choice.
You will be a great candidate for Get Rooted! if you are:
- • Aged 17-25
- • A strong team player
- • Passionate about making social and environmental change
- • Interested in working in the Richmond community
- • Excited about joining a team of like-minded peers and mentors
Who are we?
The Richmond Food Security Society is a grassroots, non-profit organization dedicated to building healthy, fair and sustainable food systems. Supported by the Vancouver Foundation Youth Philanthropy Council, the Get Rooted! Growing Youth Leaders in the Food Movement project provides support, education, and opportunities for youth to become active agents of change in the food system.
To learn more about what we have planned for 2015, including a bulk buying club and the first ever Food Charter for Richmond, please visit www.richmondfoodsecurity.org.
What will I get from the project?
- • Knowledge needed to weigh in on current food-related social and environmental issues
- • Leadership skills in facilitation, project development, and critical thinking
- • Supported opportunities to put your ideas to work and take action
- • Events to connect with like-minded young activists, mentors, and local players in the food system
What level of commitment is required of me?
The Get Rooted! Youth Leadership Project will run from May 23, 2015 to Aug 31, 2015. During this time, you are expected to:
- • Attend weekly workshops, volunteer sessions, and project activities (Saturdays 10 am – 3 pm and occasional weekday)
- • Explore and take action on a food issue or topic that you’re passionate about
Questions? Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions! You can reach us at email@example.com
To Apply, Please submit the application form along with your resume to the Get Rooted! Project Team at firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00 pm, May 11, 2015.