Wishful Shrinking.

In reply to a blog post “Too fat for Lulu Lemon” By Harnoor Gill.
https://blogs.ubc.ca/harnoorgill/2013/11/13/too-fat-for-lululemon/

I was trying not to blog about this, because i am sure there are more than enough posts about the topic, however, i couldn’t help myself. I completely agree, it seems the founder of the massively popular LuLu Lemon may have just ‘shrank’ his customer base. In a recent interview Chip Wilson contradicted every ethic and value proposition he has ever promoted by exclaiming the reasoning behind a problem with his yoga pants comes down to the size of woman wearing his product, rather than the product itself.. “The real problem is that your fat behind is stretching Lululemon’s yoga-kale-wheatgrass-thigh-gap lifestyle apparel beyond capacity” The Bloomberg interview has had varying reactions throughout the world. However, Wilson did exactly what he should have done by publicly apologizing for the statement he probably wishes he never said. To me, it seems like a mediocre attempt at an apology, watch it here. Do you want to “Stay in the conversation that is above the fray”, or, like myself, does Wilson’s video lead to more apprehension about the ethics behind the label?
LuLu Lemon is a huge competitor in the athletic market, and whilst this minor hiccup may temporarily cause some disturbance in the ‘peace’ of the industry.. Chip Wilson, you owe your loyal customers, and the position of your brand in the industry. I have no doubt they’ll be back for more. That was a close one.