Patagonia Getting Citizens Involved

by liannemcradu ~ October 23rd, 2010. Filed under: Analysis, Ethics.

After our class on ‘Seeking Eco-Advantage,” I thought it would be interesting to do some more research on what kinds of steps companies are taking towards being more sustainable. After re-reading my blog posting on ‘What will it be.. Tree-hugger and Tree-cutter,’ it made me think back and re-ask, how are companies showing concern for the environment? I looked into the company Patagonia, that has high exposure, and am seeing how they are trying to get support from their clientele for some of the latest environmental issues. Patagonia donates money and responds to some of the top environmental emergencies. They have recently been funding and raising awareness about the Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill Crisis. I recognize how Patagonia caters to a clientele that are: willing to spend more for Patagonia’s environmentally friendly products, and relate to their naturalist values. They connect the use the web (and social media) for product marketing as well as services showing concern for the environment. While customers can go online and purchase their products, the company uses this as an opportunity to educate and get communities involved in projects company is working on. They post additional information and links about the crisis’, have links to influential people they want you to write letters to, as well as volunteer sign-ups, which makes them differentiable from others companies.

http://www.patagonia.com/us/contribution/patagonia.go?assetid=54730