Why your back to school nerves are a good thing

Back to school

Leaves fall, school starts.

This back to school thing? I’m a pro.

Five years of undergrad, one year of graduate studies, I’ve finally got it down. Heading into my first class in the Sing Tao building this time last year, ready to start the rigorous Master of Journalism program, I felt terrified. On a cellular level. Almost nauseous from the fear of no one liking me and not being able to do this.

You see, I got very sick in late 2013, couldn’t work, could barely walk, lived in pain and fear I would never live a life again. In September 2014, I was really only six months into my long recovery. I never give up – ever – so I knew I was better, but I had a long way to go and I was scared.

That was then; this is now.

I had no need to be afraid. The true, blue love and support I was given from my faculty and classmates is one of the greatest gifts I have ever been given. And I am a different person because of it. Assertive, confident, ballsy, and wise. I embraced my fears, felt them, lived them, didn’t brush them aside. They were my greatest teachers and they’re yours as well.

It’s okay and very, very healthy to feel nervous about going back to school. New program or same-old. First year undergrad or second year masters. No matter. September is synonymous with the new, change. The air smells different, the leaves look different, your focus changes. You might be afraid to approach your new professor and introduce yourself; do it anyway. You might be nervous about going to a first week party where you don’t know anybody; go anyways. Trust me, it will go well and it won’t be a catastrophe. Your prof will be impressed. You will have fun at the party (however you define and experience fun).

Your nerves – however quiet or loud – are your friends. Let yourself feel them, but don’t let themĀ tell you what to do. Going back to school is awesome and you’ll do awesome.