The Art of Choosing

Finding things to do at UBC is not hard. Finding the time to do them all, on the other hand, is an entirely different challenge.

The wonderful thing about the VP Emerging Leaders Programme is that I get all these heads-ups on interesting workshops and events. The Recognition Event is also an incentive to complete all the components of the programme, though doubtless I’d still try and do them all anyway. The existence of such an event only ensures that I’ll feel bad if I don’t complete them all. I’d hear it silently screaming, “You were too lazy and didn’t plan well enough!”, while I’d silently scream back, “No, I’m not! It just turned out that way!”

My components are vying for my attention. I’m beginning my placement at Trek Learning Exchange tomorrow, so I won’t be going to two workshops I’m interested in. School is also calling my name: I’ll be missing the next Terry Speaker because of clashing classes. The same problem goes for the International Week workshops, much to my disappointment. I don’t think cutting class to fulfil these components was quite what the Emerging Leaders programme envisions us doing, though…

So it becomes a matter of choice. I can do my research for my proposal (which I plan on writing on Thursday, due on Friday), or go to the Unlearn workshop at the Vanier ballroom this Wednesday evening and not sleep for the rest of the week. The latter option is cutting it too close for my liking, though; I’m going to the Vagina Monologues and I need to be up early on Thursday for volunteering.

On the other hand, waking early was the only thing discouraging me from artsWednesdays. Let’s just say that on normal days (not tonight, obviously), I try to be in bed at 8:30 pm and be asleep by 9:00, shall we? So Wednesday evenings I aim for earlier than that. But if I find someone to come with me, I probably will go one Wednesday I’m less busy and just live with a little less sleep. Once every other week shouldn’t hurt me. Shouldn’t. (I discovered, through a most scientific process of trial and error, that I got sick quite rapidly if I slept less than 9 hours during high school — it seems to have increased to 10 in uni — hence my sleeping schedule.)

I guess I’ll just have to risk every other workshop and/or speaker to clash with my schedule and have the recognition event scream at me.