The Wealth of Minors

No, I am not making a comment about the financial status of those under so-and-so age. I’ve been prancing about the UBC Calendar while toying with the idea of a Minor and have gone through almost every possible Arts department now. I am now smacking and berating myself with, “Where have I been?

Where, indeed? In less than half an hour, I have discovered that there is indeed an International Relations minor, and that there exists such minors as Health and Society and Migration and Globalization Studies. Once again, I am in awe of all the possibilities that exist out there, and am in very great danger of never minoring in anything at all because I want too much.

Oh, if I had found out about these before and tried to plan some of those lower-level requirements into my degree accordingly. But I never was interested before — I had very specific questions — “Should I try Psychology, Sociology or Anthropology?”; “Can I do something with all this Chinese or Anthropology that I’m taking?” And so I looked for answers to those questions. What I should have done, I now see, is to ask, “What is there?” and just look and look and look, and hopefully that wealth of variety would come hammering down on me and open my eyes.

Now I am contemplating if it’s possible to shove two years’ worth of requirements into a summer or some other ridiculously compact amount of time. For I am almost certain to do more than 120 credits at the rate I’m going.

Dreadful thought. If I do more than 120 credits and fulfil the requirements for an Honours degree and a second Major/Minor, they’ll actually count all those credits, right? They won’t say, “Pick 120 of the 360 credits you did”, right? Double-counting is only going to go so far, after all…

4 responses to “The Wealth of Minors