Searching for Shortcuts

The other day I took it into my head to get off at the UBC Hospital and see if it was a shorter route to Swing Space than the bus loop.

When I alighted, I decided to purposefully follow the Science students in front of me and look like I, too, knew where I was going. Of course, when they entered Woodward, I had to keep walking in a different direction as though that was what I’d intended all along.

It’s amazing what you come across when you walk a different way.

Did you know, for example, that we actually have a building called Rusty Hut? Don’t worry; I didn’t. Nor had I ever come across the Earthquake Engineering Research Laboratories

I also threaded through the Civil Engineering building (feeling like a complete fraud all the while I was walking through it — do you think there’s something wrong if I feel guilty just walking in another part of campus?).

Now anyone with a sense of campus geography will probably be able to tell at this point that I was not really going in a very direct route to Swing. I arrived five minutes later than I would have if I’d taken my usual route, but you know… those were a pretty cool additional five minutes for what I saw.

2 responses to “Searching for Shortcuts