Chinese Valentine’s Day

A Hong Kong friend just told me it’s Chinese Valentine’s Day tonight. Not keeping track of any Chinese date except Lunar New Year and Mid-Autumn Festival, I spent my Chinese Valentine’s Day doing a co-op interview, writing three co-op applications, and going to school, among other stuff I’ve been putting off for a long time. I’m eating my dinner at the lovely time of 11 pm and am just slightly pooped.

On the bright side, I decided to give myself tong yuen/tang yuan [Cantonese/Mandarin] for dessert tonight. I meant to have it on Lunar New Year Eve, but got caught up with something or other that I’ve forgotten now. Supposedly I should eat them tonight as well — no objections there! And I thought it was a sign of good luck when my tong yuen got stuck together and I had to dump 8 of them in. 8’s a good number in Chinese, after all.

Less fortunately, they all broke. Either they were very poorly made or I made a mistake somehow. This would be pretty hard to do, given that all you do is boil them and leave them to float on top when they’re done. I was wondering why all that was floating was the sesame filling…

Still, tong yuen is tong yuen no matter what, and I’ll have them broken skins and all.

Must remember to switch brands next time though.

4 responses to “Chinese Valentine’s Day