Term Evaluations

I decided to write a post in between frustrated research. I’m mostly frustrated because I can’t seem to download more than one JSTOR article without getting logged out. Articles on the topic I’m looking at, there are plenty of. (Mem: Try downloading selected articles from Chapman tomorrow. I don’t know how to fix this when my VPN says I’m logged in.)

Dear goodness, there’s an awful lot on James Joyce. I suppose it’s what happens when you go out of your way to be a cryptic writer, and you’re good at it.

I’ve just also completed teaching evaluations, partly because I didn’t want to get another reminder about them, and mostly because they are important. One thing I’m glad to see this term is that they’ve put back the boxes where you can make your subjective comments about the course. I ranted last year about how there was nowhere to put qualitative feedback that I thought was really important — especially because the professor wasn’t reacting to verbal feedback — and there was no space. Nada. No problem like that this year, and I’m glad to have the space to talk about some really great professors I’ve had.

Of course, all that evaluating has made me assess myself as a student this term. I can’t say I’m very happy about my self-evaluation. I haven’t been very well for most of this term, which is my reasoning for not being as diligent as usual, but it frustrates me nonetheless. I’m doing considerably less than I’ve ever done in most other terms and I’m still always really, really tired. Actually, I’ve just been really tired all year: physically and emotionally, 2009 hasn’t been a particular favourite.

Lessons in Life by John Su

Lessons in Life by JohnSu

But! It’s almost over. I’m working hard on my last big assignment, I’m catching up with my readings, and as soon as classes finish, I’ll have a great exam schedule to look forward to. I’ve just got two finals this term and they’re quite spaced out, so that’s plenty of time to study.

And then I’m going back to Hong Kong to visit for about ten days (I do go back every holiday, don’t I?) and I have every intention of enjoying myself completely. By some minor miracle, all my high school friends will be in the same city again since we graduated. Add to that the fact that some of them are going to be graduating in 2010 (because they go to UK unis), so who knows where they’ll be in the future, and you’ve got the recipe for a once-in-a-lifetime reunion. Excellent!

After classes are over, I’m going to redo my course schedule for next term and do all my readings before term starts (because I am nerdy like that). Then I’m going to work out what I want my term to look like. The one good thing about my mid-uni crisis this term is that I’ve spent a LOT of time thinking about what I’m doing here and where I want to go… so it’s time to start shaping life into something that looks more like what I’m envisioning!

So all in all, I’m actually pretty excited about these last few weeks of 2009 (already almost over!). How are you dealing with end-of-term stress and what are you looking forward to next?

(Oh yes, Speakeasy in the SUB North Concourse will continue providing peer support during exam time. If you’re stressed or want to talk about anything in a confidential space, go along to the SUB information desk and let someone know you need to talk. They’ll be happy to help you.)

2 responses to “Term Evaluations