Things I Love Thursday

The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live.

Flora Whittemore

Life has been exceptionally good lately. And I am proud that a lot of it has been good because I’ve been putting in the effort to make it that way.

I’ve moved into residence and love my new room. It’s got high ceilings and is south-facing, with a bit of ocean through the trees. I look forward to spectacular sunrises and sunsets!

My classes are panning out to be really interesting. Highlights of my term will include visiting and writing about Chinatown, walking a labyrinth while listening to music (did you know we have a labyrinth on campus?!), and getting a tour around the Museum of Anthropology — and all for class!

I had my first Musqueam lesson today and can say, ‘Tooth.’ I’m so delighted for what is yet to come.

We had our Speakeasy retreat at Whistler last weekend and I love the new volunteers. I’m really proud of how kind and thoughtful the vast majority of our volunteers consistently show themselves to be, and am sure the new year is going to be good.

I’m also the proud owner of Sara Bareilles’s new album, Kaleidoscope Heart. Unfortunately, I still haven’t had a chance to listen to it because I’ve been so busy over the last few days.

I have a new job! Lined up for me just as I finish my current part-time at the YMCA is a UBC Work Study editing position that I can’t wait to start. It’s going to be a very interesting opportunity that I’m really going to enjoy, mostly because I like editing and I want to be more helpful within the UBC community. I’m also undeniably grateful for how it’s going to help pay for my housing — it’s great to feel that I’m increasingly able to take care of my own needs.

I have peaches! I love peaches, and for some reason often have trouble finding them in supermarkets. Nectarines are aplenty, but peaches are a rare fruit I treasure when I do overcome my own lack of observation.

2 responses to “Things I Love Thursday