A safe resting place in UBC?

I shouldn’t have, because I was poorly to begin with, but I did—I’d missed the shuttle and had fifteen minutes to get from Marine Drive to Buchanan Tower before the English office closed, so I ran.

Afterwards, I suffered the consequences of low blood sugar and found myself stumbling towards the Speakeasy lounge to lie down before I was publicly sick or fainted away. Fortunately, there were volunteers there as usual who gave me chocolate and water, and I recovered after an hour or so.

All this so that I wouldn’t get 15% off my paper for being late. There have got to be better ways of living than this.

This misadventure got me thinking, however: if I didn’t volunteer for Speakeasy and didn’t have a volunteers-only lounge to retreat to, where would I have gone? Where is a safe resting place for a student who just needs to lie down and be taken care of for a little while, not dragged off to the hospital?

I thought about the restrooms in Buchanan Tower, because the women’s washrooms each have a cot partitioned off to one side, so I probably would have used that if I didn’t have any other options. The Centre for Student Involvement? There are sofas and vending machines there, so I could have purchased candy on the way if I had change (which I didn’t, having left my wallet at home in my rush).

Where would you have gone and what would you have done? These are questions you never think about until you need to, and then it’s a scary thing.

3 responses to “A safe resting place in UBC?