Things I Love Thursday

The days are long, but the years are short.
— Gretchen Rubin

The above quote comes from The Happiness Project, a blog I like because it was one of the first sites that got me thinking seriously about the nature and importance of happiness.

This quote sums up my sense of passing time. While in the thick of things, like my four more papers and three finals between now and next Friday, the end feels wretchedly far away. On the other hand, I could hardly believe that it’s Thursday already again, and I should be writing my Thursday post, let alone that it’s December and there are less than 30 days to a new year.

(This in turn triggers thoughts like ‘ohemgee, I’m in fourth year, ohemgee, I only have another year and a half before I really can’t drag out my degree any longer, ohemgee, time is flying by and I feel like I haven’t done half the things I wanted to do when I first came to university, omgomgomg’. But that’s another post for another time.)

In the meantime — Thursday!

♥ My best friend in this city is home from exchange. Although I’m really happy for her that she had such a great time abroad that Vancouver is currently underwhelming her, I am still selfishly glad to have her back!

♥ I made my first snowman late last Thursday night, after watching Jade in the Coal. He was a small, lumpy affair, but I also got to make snow angels! (Check another item off my to do list.)

♥ A pot of good quality honey makes for great honey and lemon water. This is my favourite precaution against sore throats at this time of year.

♥ My friend’s sister introduced me to HauteLook, an online retail store currently offering rain boots on sale at $20-30 (ending today at noon). None of this $100+ nonsense — hurray! I will soon have my first pair of wellies in over a decade!

♥ I love my fellow Speakeasy volunteers. They are some of the warmest, most humorous, easygoing people I’ve ever had the pleasure to meet. Often I intend to pass through the volunteer space, only to find myself still there hours later, immersed in the most random and interesting conversations. Finding my niche at UBC was one of my biggest concerns in first year; I’m glad to say I’ve now found it.

♥ I got a two-day extension on one of my papers. THANK YOU, KIND PROFESSOR!

♥ I watched Jade in the Coal at the Frederic Wood Theatre on campus last Thursday and meant to write a post saying what a good play it is, but you can have it in a bullet point: It’s about Chinese miners in 1900 Cumberland, BC, and the arrival of a Cantonese opera troupe. Having prepared myself to hate Cantonese opera based on my toddler experiences of it, I was pleasantly surprised to find myself enjoying it. I do recommend it and tickets are still on sale for performances until December 4 (student price is $15).

♥ Nickelback’s ‘If Today Was Your Last Day’ is one my favourite videos because I totally want to carry suspicious black bags and throw their colourful contents onto strangers too!

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCZCfOygt_w]