Redefining Valentine’s Day

Are you doing anything for Valentine’s Day?

I don’t mean that in the ‘Are you going on a date or are you going to be raging about how you aren’t going on a date?’ kind of way, because I think there’s already far too much of that. I’m not interested in defining myself in or out of the romantic love circle that seems to have such a vice-like grip on some people I know.

No, I’m curious to know if you’re planning on doing anything for the other people you love most: your family and friends.

You see, I like to think of Valentine’s as a general day of love and a great opportunity to express that extra bit of affection to my loved ones. In high school, my friends and I would buy roses for our mothers and each other. One year I decided to write terrible, cheesy acrostics for my best friends. Last year, I mailed a Valentine’s to my parents. (The only hiccup with this was that I didn’t know the postage rate had changed, so the card got returned to me two weeks later and my parents were pleasantly surprised to receive a Valentine’s in March!)

This year I’m toying with the idea of organising a Valentine’s brunch for my volunteers and just hanging out with friends afterwards — and I think the world would be a more fabulous place if more people used Valentine’s to show their loved ones how much they care.

So go on: surprise someone!

One response to “Redefining Valentine’s Day