A Memory, a Monologue, a Rant and a Prayer 2011

If you’ve never heard of or watched The Vagina Monologues, you should. I’ve seen them twice in the last four years and enjoyed them each time: funny, sassy and thought-provoking, these monologues will have you cracking up in your seat and being challenged to think about issues surrounding female sexuality in ways you probably never considered before.

This year, I attended A Memory, a Monologue, a Rant and a Prayer instead, a new benefit production that is also being performed at UBC for the second year running. (In fact, I just came back about an hour ago, and the only reason why I didn’t blog about it earlier is because I was writing an assignment.)

To those of you who have seen and loved The Vagina Monologues, it’s worth noting that MMRP is very different in mood. The content is consistently heavier and therefore more emotionally taxing; a barrel of laughs it is not, but sobering and worth watching at least once as well, yes! I was greatly surprised to find Frederick Wood Theatre tonight more than half-empty, considering how wildly popular The Vagina Monologues are and how quickly those tickets sell out. If the other nights are like tonight, you’ll most likely be able to buy tickets at the door ($15 each), and skip out on the extra $2 fee you need to pay if you’re buying them online.

For more details on UBC V-Day and for links to buying tickets online, check out their Facebook page. The Vagina Monologues continue to play tomorrow and on Saturday, while MMRP is playing Friday and Saturday. All proceeds will go to organisations against violence against women.