Things I Love Thursday

To continue my Hong Kong edition of Things I Love Thursday!

♥ Soft, sweet, fleshy mangoes I have to be careful not to drip juice all over the place. I just can’t find fruit like this in Vancouver — that, or I’ve been shopping in all the wrong places.

♥ That said, I miss being able to drink water from the tap, filtered through my Brita jug. HK boiled water just tastes bad. (Word of warning to the uninitiated: it is not a good idea to drink water from the tap here; the pipes are not designed with drinking water in mind. While some individuals get away unscathed, there are plenty of unwitting visitors or new immigrants who end up in hospital as a result of drinking straight from the tap.)

♥ We get a splendid view of the cityscape at night. There are so many lights, it never gets truly dark (or at least, you have to work hard to find a place like that). Although the Tourism Board likes to market Hong Kong as the ‘City of Life’, I think of it more often as the ‘City of Lights’. Sometimes I catch glimpses of the nightly laser show that goes on around the harbour; I mean to go down there and actually watch it one of these days.

♥ I love the torrential rain: when rain decides to come down, it comes down. None of this wishy-washy, half-hearted Vancouver drizzle nonsense! And after a couple of hours of downpour, it’s over.

♥ Then again, I also adore the sunshine. It’s been grey for most of the past week but the sun came out yesterday and is predicted to last today, as well. With another week of rain forecasted — and the Hong Kong weather observatory tends to be fairly accurate, which is a lot more than I can say for the Vancouver forecasters — I’m off and about as soon as I’m done with this post!

♥ One of my Vancouver friends is in town, and I’ll be joining him and a high school friend of mine at the Peak today. There are some lovely views up there on even a semi-clear day and I shall post pictures, if I get any decent ones.

♥ Also, let me just reiterate how much I love Sara Bareilles; her sassiness in ‘King of Anything’ cheers me right up when I’m fretting (which is a lot, lately).

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR7-AUmiNcA]

3 responses to “Things I Love Thursday

1. Pingback: notes from fragrant harbour (iii) « abaculus