Things I Love Thursday

I’m rushing about today because I have errands to run and a Chinese wedding banquet to go to tonight that probably won’t end until late. This is a quick list of what’s been fabulous in the last two weeks (I missed last week because my mind was on other things while in China):

♥ Seeing my grandmother in Beijing who is doing quite well. She was very pleased to see both my brother and myself at the same time, which hasn’t happened since four years ago.

♥ Beijing food I love: pancakes, chive turnovers, Peking roast duck, homemade dumplings (from scratch!)… and also the fabulous Beijing Books Building where I think I could sit and read all day on any of its several floors (and many people do). I stocked up on some learning materials and also a book on learning to speak Shanghainese. If I could learn live, that would be awesome, but sadly, I have no Shanghainese-speaking relatives in Vancouver.

♥ While on the subject of food, Hong Kong’s Pizza Express dough balls have got to be one of their best inventions. Just balls of doughs baked like a pizza crust and served with butter, pesto rosso and pesto genovese. Definitely have to try this when I get back to Vancouver.

♥ Other food I am gleefully consuming include Hong Kong dim sum (Vancouver dim sum is quite decent but it’s wonderful to have so many more choices for cheap), soup with puff pastries (I have a thing about puff pastries), egg tarts (my love for egg tarts seems to be passing into legend as three different people purchased me egg tarts over the last four days without me saying a word), salted fish and diced chicken fried rice, Chinese desserts… I think I’m going to go on an expedition for tofu fa tomorrow, I’ve been craving it so much.

♥ I went to Macau yesterday for a day trip and we ate plenty of good food and watched my brother bungee jump from Macau Tower. More on that later!

♥ My fabulous brother also set up wi-fi at home in Hong Kong so I can now access the internet as much as I want. Even though I don’t do it very often, it’s nice to have that option.

♥ Axis of Awesome’s ‘How to Write a Love Song’ amuses me:

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSuIZ11JdUg]

♥ Dear Tommy, I’m so glad I got to see you before you moved on. You were the cat that taught me how to love every other cat and I’ll always think the world of you.

4 responses to “Things I Love Thursday