Things I Love Thursday

It’s my last week in Hong Kong and I’m thinking of all the things I’m happy and thankful for and will miss:

♥ Being back home and being able to see family and some very old friends. Relationships are liable to change over distance and time, so I’m particularly appreciative of the ones still around.

♥ Such cheap, good food! Latest escapade today: 24 inch wide pizza. It was also genuinely delicious.

♥ The Octopus pay pass. It’s so easy and convenient to use, not only on the train system and all busses, but also at car parks, several convenience stores and vending machines.

♥ Listening to train and bus stops being announced in Cantonese, Mandarin and English.

♥ Inexpensive clothing at Fa Yuen Street in Mong Kok, where everything is either about or below CA$10.

♥ Mochi ice cream: balls of ice cream wrapped in mochi skins. One of my most beloved snacks as a child and the perfect summer treat. (They came out with a honeydew flavour!)

♥ A glass lamp that my mother bought for me some ten years ago is still my favourite; the glass is pink and has painted flowers on the inside so it glows beautifully when lit in the dark. If I ever have my own permanent home, I’d like to bring this over, if I could be sure it wouldn’t break.

♥ Visiting a really old puppy today who is fifteen years old but thinks he’s five or younger. He kept wanting to play despite wheezing like my grandmother. He looks a little like the puppy in the icon, but darker and much happier.

Vancouver in a few days! Summer blue skies, homemade salsa and guacamole. I’m looking forward to those.