Things I Love Thursday

First off: A very happy birthday to my two wonderful friends who were born on the same day today twenty-one years ago! May you both be as happy and healthy as anyone can wish.

I didn’t post last week because I was tired of the Blog Squad aggregate page cloning my posts, but it seems to be behaving now (fingers crossed this doesn’t jinx it). So my weekly collection of things I think are cool:

♥ One of my all-time favourite things about Translink is the Poetry in Transit project: short poems or extracts on the inside tops of busses, where the ads usually go. You can read all the current ones on the website, if you like; I haven’t, because I enjoy the occasional surprise of finding a new poem on the bus.

♥ The surprise fireworks display at Coal Harbour last Saturday — and the upcoming Celebration of Light this weekend! I’m planning on seeing all the fireworks this year; the competitors this year promise to be most excellent.

♥ One of my friends pointed out the magnificent-sounding interactive e-book by an ex-Pixar designer, The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr Morris Lessmore, available on the iPad. Check it out, read about it, or buy it for $4.99:

[vimeo http://vimeo.com/25833596]

♥ Another great link for anyone interested in animation is the Animator Letters Project, a website collecting letters from professional animators to aspiring ones.

♥ Seeing the utter joy on a friend’s face when you find a really good present for them.

♥ I’ve been listening over and over to Simple Plan’s ‘Jet Lag’ (featuring Natasha Bedingfield). (Apparently, there’s also a French version with Marie-Mai.)

♥ The knee-high child who ran up and hugged my leg (however mistakenly, thinking I was his mother) at the UBC Bookstore last Saturday.

♥ Most of all, I love Vancouver in all its glory rays:

Kitsilano beach at sunset