Re-teaching Propaganda in Animal Farm

Matt did a wonderful job of re-teaching the aspects of propaganda within the novel Animal Farm. He pulled from his own past knowledge in social studies, as well as the information and vocabulary I relayed to him, and taught a basic understanding of propaganda. He described the different styles clearly and used examples from the novel whenever he could, I wish I could have given him more background knowledge regarding what the novel is about as a whole.

This assignment allowed me to reflect on my own teaching practices in a way I have before. During my practicum I was forced to share my classroom with another student teacher from SFU who was in his short practicum. This was not an ideal situation because I would teach my class and then he would basically teach my lesson plan to the next block. He got to watch my lesson that was being put into place for the first time and then re-teach it, tweaking or changing things. It was no enjoyable. However, even though I have experienced this “re-teaching” concept before, this activity was enlightening and interesting. I enjoyed seeing Matt be able to teach the topic with little to no background knowledge of the novel itself. He did a great job on focussing on propaganda in general, rather than trying to force specific examples from the text. Great job!