Microagressions, race, and religion

Pulling together some threads from our class discussion on microagressions. I find it very interesting that a number of us come from conservative religious backgrounds. I also taught in a religious school for 14 years and had a father who was a Baptist minister. So I’m very interested in exploring what causes people like myself to shift their thought process and progress from the binary thinking that our culture seems to gravitate towards (left/right, black/white, liberal/conservative).  We know that adolescents are also prone to binary thinking. My hope is to open up space for third way thinking—creative solutions inspired by story. One framework involves hearing stories and withholding judgment. This is the framework used by Pro Voice. They’re a reproductive rights group that tries to pull together opponents by having people just commit to hearing each other’s stories related to abortion, sans judgment. A creative approach. What might our polarized classrooms look like if students could commit to being pro-voice?

Here’s a few other resources I’ve enjoyed:

Keep it Weird by (comedian) Pete Holmes. This one is for us. Holmes identifies as a post-conservative Christian and opens up this discussion regularly with guests. I especially love his interview with Franciscan priest Richard Rohr and former megachurch pastor Kent Dobson–each are worth the 2 hours if you have a long drive this summer! Honestly. These conversations give me hope for the future, and are a great window into the right that brings hope, rather than frustration (e.g. Brietbart and Fox News!).

Now, for the classroom… I recently had a brave grade 11 student produce her own podcast on microaggressions where she called out a common practice among teachers in the high school context. Here’s Zoe Balbosa on her experience. Love that kid!

I posted this one earlier. It’s so good. Snap Judgment’s Davey Kim tells his grade 8 experience of microagressions during a spelling bee, including his brave response.

Finally, my kids and I just discovered a new CBC podcast called Micdrop which gives teens a voice on their own issues. It’s pretty powerful and brave–geared at middle schoolers. It’s worth airing in class.

I’ve recently added a fantastic Canadian play to my classroom, Kim’s Convenience (yes, the one that’s now a CBC TV series… the play is better!). It explores issues of race, the immigrant experience, and stereotypes in a satirical way that exposes bias through humour. My students have loved this (very short) play. I think it would be incredible if paired with Nanette to open a discussion of whether or not comedy is effective at addressing heavy issues. Also, in terms of teaching methods, I’ve recently become excited about reviving the Harkness Method, which puts all students/instructors around an oval table in an effort to level the power imbalance and empower discussion-based learning. So good! Joyce Kim from Southridge School (they are 100% Harkness) is an expert–she conducted pro-d for our English department this June.