Ruminations on inclusive teaching

I was thinking about the categorization of inclusive LGTBQ curriculum scale as proposed by Michelle Page in the Teaching in the Cracks article. Although I felt that these categories included a bit of judgment as to where a teacher was in their inclusion rate, I see that it could be helpful as another way of examining practice. The article opened my eyes in terms of thinking and learning more about queer theory and how to work this into my teaching.  In my library studies courses there is a lot of discussion on the need to create a diverse library collection in which students can clearly see themselves, and this has come up within our class discussions also. As noted, the classic canon does not fit the bill.

A novel that came to mind that I read recently is Strangers: The Reckoner #1  by David A. Robertson, and it also segues into our next focal area of Indigenous literature. This novel falls into Page’s “Visible with Partial Integration” category as it is primarily a supernatural murder-mystery based around a young Aboriginal teen boy, and a sub-plot features a gay couple (one of whom is murdered as part of a bigger plot). The protagonist learns that his best friend was gay and emotionally supports and directly talks with the surviving boyfriend about the relationship. In the story, the character was not killed because he was gay, but instead because of information that he held. I feel like Robertson realistically captured many issues and themes that allow for myriad student to identify: small town life vs. urban life, PTSD, anxiety and medication, death and grieving, LGBTQ-related issues, and teen relationships. I think this novel could easily support inquiry learning as students connect to an issue or theme that relates to them. Direct focus could be pulled onto LGBTQ issues by having students reflect on why the couple had been reluctant to be openly out with their relationship, and to then get into the history of discrimination and the reality of experiences today (at school, in the community, in the world at large).

I recall hearing Wab Kinew talking on CBC about the need for a new Aboriginal narrative in which the difficulties of the past were not always the feature storyline. While not meaning to disregard the past or forget it, he wanted to offer alternatives for modern stories which featured Aboriginal peoples and culture. I wonder if this too could be the case for the LGBTQ community? Is partial integration lesser? Or helpful in “normalizing” LGBTQ experiences? Our discussion of the power of story also came to mind. Feedback definitely appreciated!

1 Response to Ruminations on inclusive teaching

1. Tash McAdam says:

For me, partial integration would be bringing in a novel like this (with LGBTQ+ rep) but not engaging with that aspect of it at all. A ‘part of the furniture’ move, if you will. I believe that we’re not quite there yet. Because LGBTQ+ identities are still politically and socially interrogated every day, I believe it’s important to investigate those issues within story/teaching/ our lives. As a reader and writer, I prefer books that do not orbit around queerness; where queerness is just a part of the vaster universe. However, as a teacher and a student I want there to be acknowledgement of and investigation into how those identities exist in our world.

Thanks for the recc and your thoughts on this!