A note on the opening of R & J

I wanted to say that I think it’s true that Samson and Gregory are far from paragons of feminism but I think the text intends to show them that way–we didn’t get into things in class so I’m not really arguing against anyone’s opinion in particular, I only want to set things out a bit. The two are not stand ins for Shakespeare nor exactly the most privileged. They are uneducated servants, albeit of a wealthy family. The play really moves back and forth from high to low. It starts with the prelude, which is serious in tone before Gregory and Samson’s exchange, and it goes up and down. I think this is because an audience would be resistant to listening to a more high-minded and earnest drama throughout and placing the low over against the high is an effective way to show the contrast between perspectives. Romeo, in the balcony scene (at least according to Luhrmann’s movie) isn’t even thinking about sleeping with Juliet and only has his eyes set on marriage. In any case, I think whatever interpretation is given to the text, the opening dialogue can still be used as an opening to discuss attitudes toward sexuality etc. Juliet is also given a choice of who to marry early on but later her father seems to change his mind and requires her to act according with his wishes. There are a lot of interesting dynamics ongoing. I definitely think this play is worth talking about in the context that it was discussed in class the other day.