McTwittify Twitter.

Part of sub-projects is to sign up for Twitter. I was excited joining Twitter as I can get offers and promotions updates instantly, but it is not as effective as I thought so far. Reasons are: some posts are like spam, I lose track of what i m reading or what I want to read. All the tweets I follow are offering almost the similar news updates (except restaurants).

While I was reading the article on Business Insider McDonald global strategies on how McDonalds plan to take over the world. It begs the questions in my mind on how Twitter should take over the world. 

“McDonald is a powerful brand and sheer size are two big, dependable advantages that if can always lean on. But just being McDonald’s isn’t enough — it’s doing a lot, domestically and globally, to stay ahead.” 

Here are ten strategies that are keeping McDonald’s barreling forward:

1. Focus heavily on emerging market (africa, middle east, china)
  2. McCafe, the brand extension
  3. Offering wider variety of food to attract more segments i.e. oatmeal breakfast instead of high calorie breakfast, salad instead of fries.
  4. Delivery food to customers in places that demand it.
  5. Making store more attractive – they are on the edge of trying out “Less is More” concept design, and offer free-wifi.
  6. Increase on snack items menu (dessert, wraps, cheaper ala carte)
  7. Shortening menu cycle – seasonal food menus i.e St.Patricks mint shakes, or McRibs, Caramel McFlurry
  8. Importing successful niche products global. Fancy having McDeluxe Sandwich, or Chicken Nuggets with Curry sauce dips. This is potentially risky and ROI can be low, yet they are adapting with the smaller-one-global-world trend which could lead to success.
  9. Making a dollar menu by adapting to consumer marketing habits in the low economic environment.
  10. Direct competing with their competitor (Starbucks vs. McCoffee, Dairy Queen vs. McFlurry) .

The differences between Twitter and McDonalds lies in their product, as Twitter is an online service for a community and McD is offering tangible products. Twitter has gained strong foundation by having thousands of Followers all around the world.Twitter is currently in the position which McD would like to achieve, while McD is leading in branding which Twitter should aim to achieve. It needs to make itself attractive. It needs to CONVERT netizens into “buying” Twitter. How?

I recommend Twitter to adopting strategies in reversal of McD’s successful branding strategies. Twitter should be “all over the corner”, “recongnised by everyone” like McDonalds. Thus, Twitter should really deploy on marketing on Branding with more beneficiary features to attract and convert netizens.

Further readings on How Twitter Can Make Money can be read @Mary’s blog:  https://blogs.ubc.ca/myzhangg/2012/02/28/how-to-earn-money-on-twitter/