One of the pillars is EITI

Bulgan Batdorj, MASc Mining Engineering // Jan 27, 2015

I am Mongolian. This may seem like a simple statement. However this simple sentence makes me the owner of a great history, beautiful land, unique tradition and culture. It also means that speaking up and critiquing is part of our culture and is to be encouraged and celebrated rather than resented. Being Mongolian is a privilege and a source of prestige. But in order to maintain and protect that privilege and prestige I have to take responsibility. This is why I am excited to be taking part in the EITI Mongolia project at the University of British Columbia.

As many people know Mongolia is rich in mineral resources and since the transition to a democratic regime, Mongolia has begin fighting to build good governance and develop immunity in the face of a rush of money, and the prospect of misuse and abuse.Mongolia is an EITI compliant country that has achieved a lot of progress since its affiliation with the Initiative in 2006. The EITI Mongolia project at UBC this term will focus on what the new EITI initiative on local reporting would mean for Mongolia and potentially to other EITI compliant countries. This is of great importance because it provides insights and more specifically a toolbox enabling the community and local civil society to push for government accountability to better their lives.

The Mongolian ger(yurt)has two pillars (багана)to stay tall and strong.Extractive industry needs the EITI as one pillar, but without good governance of the industry as the second pillar, there will be no strong nor beautiful white ger under the eternal blue sky.