Things to Put in Your Backpack – Commuter Student Edition

HAPPY OCTOBER, as I am writing this blog post I’ve got Pumpkin Spice cookies sitting in the oven. If you read my posts from last year then you know that Fall is one of my favourite seasons.

Since I’ve been commuting for over a year now I thought I’d put together a list of things I like to keep in my backpack (besides your class notes and stuff like that). Hope you find this helpful!

The Essentials

1. Umbrella – This is crucial because it rains a lot in Vancouver (which explains why people call it Raincouver) and often it rains unexpectedly. I highly recommend keeping a small, light umbrella in your bag just in case. Or you can use that new on campus umbrella-share service called Umbracity that we just got an email about 🙂
  2. queen umbrellaWater Bottle – Being parched and paying for expensive bottled water isn’t fun. Try keeping a reusable water bottle in your backpack, you won’t only help the planet, but you will keep hydrated and save some money for important things (like coffee).
  3. water bottlesHand Sanitizer – No one wants to be sick during midterm season. Sometimes you may want to eat a snack on the bus but your hands might be super germy from touching seats, handrails, etc. on the bus. I like to keep a hand sanitizer in my backpack to prevent myself from getting sick.
  4. sheldon germsTissue Paper – I always carry around a travel pack of Kleenex with me. Tissues are great to have in your backpack because you might sneeze, maybe you want to wipe your face or mouth, or maybe you need to wipe your tears.
  5. tissue paperSNACKS – I seem to always get hungry after school and you probably do too. But if your commute usually takes over an hour (like mine does) and it’s not healthy to starve yourself for that long. Even just a granola bar or cookie can help you stop the growl in your stomach for a bit.
  6. harry eatingEarphones/Headphones – Once I forgot to put my earphones back into my backpack  and I cried from boredom during the whole bus ride (just kidding I didn’t actually cry). Music is great for keeping you occupied and relaxed if you don’t have cellphone data or if you are bored of the games on your phone.
  7. taylor headphonesA book – If you can read on moving vehicles without getting dizzy, this is a good way to keep you entertained
  8. rapunzel bookA planner/agenda – An awesome way to stay on top of those deadlines and keep organized (wow look at this pretty picture I found on Google)
  9. 2015_IHeart_Organizing_Daily_Planner_22Cash – Just in case you need to purchase something

Random things – you don’t necessarily need these but I just like to keep these in my backpack

1. Hand Cream – I’m all about moisturizing my hands because I like them to stay soft. As well I find they get cracked when the weather gets cooler (aka during the Fall time). Keeping a small travel sized hand cream in your backpack is great for preventing bloody, cracked hands.
  2. Lip Balm/Chapstick – I hate it when my lips get chapped
  3. A light laptop – Heavy laptops can make your bag way too heavy and cause back problems. If you can, purchase a light laptop or a tablet.
  4. Post-it notes/sticky notes– You never know! And sometimes they give them out for free around campus!
  5. A reusable shopping bag – I just like to have one of these in my back just in case I need to carry stuff I don’t want to put in my backpack.

And most importantly do not forget your U-Pass and UBC ID!