Short Research Assignment

The first source I chose is Rewriting Womanhood: Feminism, Subjectivity, and the Angel of the House in the Latin American Novel, 1887-1903 by Nancy LaGreca. It was an important piece of literature which is centralized around life for civilians in Puerto Rico. The novel is significant because I used it to give a bit of a backstory for the articles written by Maria Eugenia Echenique and Josefina Pelliza De Sagasta. It discusses the life of women and how the church influenced their way of living. The church created an outline one of which women were expected to live by. They believed that the Virgin Mary was the ideal that all women should follow, that they should present themselves as the sacrificial image of “the Angel of the House”. This in some ways shows the kind of world Josefina lived in, it also shows how it had an impact on the way she perceived her position in the world as a woman. It was interesting to see how she held herself in an important position in the household, but at the same time, she downgraded herself, as she thought that women weren’t, and couldn’t be better than men.

The second source I chose to use is: “The Emancipation of Women: Argentina 1876”, written by Maria Eugenia Echenique and Josefina Pelliza De Sagasta. It was a fantastic source because it presented an extensive view of the discussion between Echenique and De Sagasta. It presented a wider view of their argument, which included a less generalized point from either side. Although the textbook gave me the gist of what each writer thought about, the source included new arguments, and also brought new scholars into the conversion, overall orchestrating a more interesting and in deep discussion.