1:3 STORY & LITERATURE

by maya sumel

Hey everyone! Welcome back to my blog. For this blog post, I will be focusing on story and literature and addressing a question that I found to be very interesting in my opinion. I will be writing a summary of three significant points that I found most interesting in the final chapter of If this is Your Land, Where are Your Stories? The final chapter of this book by Chamberlin is chapter eleven, which focuses on ceremonies. First, I will provide you all with a link to the writers cafe website where you can learn more about Chamberlin and this book I am discussing by listening to one of his interviews. I hope you all enjoy this! I listened to it in Unit 1 before making this blog post and I really liked it.

The first most significant point I found interesting was the story about the Gitksan and the destruction of their valley seven thousand years ago. In this story, they discuss the power of storytelling. The Gitksans took the valley for granted many years ago, and it was destroyed by grizzly bears. Chamberlin described their storytelling as having the ritual it required to the court to assert their claims to the land. Their story required belief, which is why they told it with ritual and ceremony. I found this one example to be interesting and understood the power of storytelling and having others believe what you are saying. Without belief, it would have been very difficult for the Gitksan peoples to assert their claim to the land and valley. We can relate this to a lot of the stolen land from Indigenous peoples across Canada as well, and how unfortunate it is that they have to fight for land that was stolen from them – this is an example of why storytelling is so powerful.

A second point I found to be interesting was that each story has two truths. The first truth would be the allegiance to the facts of experience, which are part of us. The second truth is the formalities of expression, which are separate from us. I found this to be interesting since this applies to most aspects of life. There are always multiple ways to interpret something, tell a story, or view a situation. It ultimately lies upon the way the story is told, which will then largely determine how we will interpret it.

The last point that I found fascinating is that stories have the power to take us to a place where things happen, but in reality, they do not. Stories offer us a choice between believed spoken words, or a visual world. A real-world example that I thought of when reading this was the way we describe ‘Canadian Land’, and what it means to be Canadian. I thought of the Molson Beer commercial I am Canadian. When thinking of this, I thought of the colonization of land and how the story of what it means to be Canadian is told, and whether the audience chooses to believe the words they see or the world they live in. The choice between the reality that we live on stolen land, or the story that being Canadian is exactly what this commercial says it is.

I hope you enjoyed reading my perspective and I look forward to reading the comments! 

Thanks,

Maya 🙂

Works Cited:

Chamberlin, Edward. If This is Your Land, Where are Your Stories? Finding Common Ground. AA. Knopf. Toronto. 2003. Print.

Chamberlin, Edward. “Interview with J. Edward Chamberlin”. Writer’s Café.  Web April 04 2013.

Courtney MacNeil, “Orality.” The Chicago School of Media Theory. Uchicagoedublogs. 2007. Web. 19 Feb. 2013.http://lucian.uchicago.edu/blogs/mediatheory/keywords/orality/

1. Am. Canadian! By Molson – CBC Archives. https://www.cbc.ca/archives/entry/i-am-canadian-by-molson