Assignment 1:5

by maya sumel

The Young Girl’s Story of Evil

I have a great story to tell you.

It is about a young girl from a small village near the woods, and I am sure you have yet to hear about her.

Whether you enjoy this story or not is up to you, but it is a story that I will tell you on how evil came into this young girl’s world. 

Before we continue, let’s give this girl a name. Something simple – not too hard to remember. We can call the young girl Jessica if you’d like. We can even call her Mary. I think we should go with Mary, something easy to remember. If you want we can change it later.

So let the story continue. Mary did not usually traverse near the woods alone, and if she did, there was never a reason to be skeptical. It was Sunday morning, and Mary had grown tiresome of her schedule. Mary made the decision to wander into the woods and try something different – have a different experience than usual. She was not looking for danger, she was simply looking for a change.

As Mary left her village and the people grew seldom as she traversed into the forest, she found the noises became more amplified, and it seemed to just be her. Mary was not scared because she had never been given a reason to be, so she continued down the unknown path in search of a new experience to tell her village when she returned. 

It was when Mary had reached this tree – but not any normal tree, a tree with something seeming like a hole at the bottom of the trunk – that she decided to stop. Mary sat down next to this hole and realized it could possibly lead somewhere. At this newfound knowledge, she began to slightly dig and make the hole deeper. Mary did not know where the hole led, but she knew that it would be the new experience she hoped for.

Mary kept digging and digging, and that is when she felt it – a slight graze on her hand that made her pull back in fear.

Mary was scared, but not too scared. curiosity took over and she decided to inch her hand back in, and that is when she felt the arm grasp her own, and heard soft chanting. The chanting got louder and louder, and she realized that it was a story that was being told. The grip on Mary’s wrist and hand grew stronger and tighter, and her hand began to ache. She yelped in discomfort, but the voice and story did not seize.

Mary was disconnected from reality and was not sure what was going on. She felt this pain for what felt like forever, but it had only been about 5 minutes. The voice stopped, and as Mary stood up, she no longer felt fear. She felt fearless, undefeatable, with a sense of evil inside of her. 

The way she viewed the world was different, and she ran back to the village to tell the rest of the people of her new experience. She told this story to everyone in the village, the story of how evil came into the world. The once calm, peaceful, and happy village had now become full of sorrows, fear, and evil. Once Mary told this story, it could not be taken back.

Commentary

This was a very unique and interesting assignment for me. I am not a storyteller and I have never been tasked with doing something like this, but I really enjoyed this task. I found myself reading a TED talk on how to tell a story. I felt like I was given a lot of freedom and could use my imagination. I did like the fact that we were telling a story about how important stories were, and that we incorporated a world of evil into it. I noticed that each time I tried to recall this story, it continued to change. I then related that directly to the story I was telling, and decided to alter it. I kept reflecting on how King said that it is important to draw your reader’s attention by not giving too much away in the beginning. I definitely learned that it is not an easy task to draw the attention of your audience, and that became very apparent when I was reading my story to my dad. This experience helped me modify the story a bit. The more I told the story, the more comfortable I was, but I also noticed the more it changed. 

I am really happy with this assignment, and it is making me excited for the rest of the term. I can’t wait to read all of your stories and see how they relate in similarity – I think it is very fun that we all based it off of the same chapter and were able to change it completely or only a little, so I am sure many of our stories will be similar.

Thank you!

Maya 🙂

Works Cited:

King, Thomas. The Truth About Stories: A Native Narrative. Peterbough:Anansi Press. 2003. Print.

2003 CBC Massey Lectures, Thomas King, The Truth about Stories: A Native Narrative: http://www.cbc.ca/ideas.

Interview with Thomas King (October 2009) by Jordan Wilson. This webpage includes a video file and a transcript of the interview: http://canlit.ca/interviews/21

Crutweets. “A World of Evil and Suffering: Cru.” Cru.org, www.cru.org/us/en/blog/life-and-relationships/hardships/a-world-of-evil-and-suffering.html.

“How to Tell a Great Story.” Harvard Business Review, 12 Aug. 2015, hbr.org/2014/07/how-to-tell-a-great-story.