RE: Social Media and Multitasking Go Hand in Hand

With the introduction of smart phones and mobile network, we are spending an ever increasing amount of time on social media. To some of us, it has become a habit to constantly check out updates on whether Facebook and Twitter while doing something else. However, It is interesting to see exactly what percentage of us are social network multitaskers.

In the recent statistics produced by CreditDonkey on US internet users,  83.7% of Facebook users browses Facebook while watching TV, and 66.9% Twitter users browses Twitter. More Surprisingly, there are 19% of Facebook users that multitasks while DRIVING, and 15.1% of twitter users do the same. Not only are these people risking their own safety, but they are also risking the lives of everyone else on the streets. I admit that sometimes when I drive, I also talk on the phone using speakers, or send texts while waiting at the red light. However, I understand how distracting it could be because not paying full attention to the road will not give the driver enough time to respond to any sudden movements. There were a time when I came close to crashing because there was a right turning car that turned on the red light while I was going straight towards him. I would have noticed him earlier if I had not look down to send out the text I just typed. Therefore, I think it is extremely hazardous to do anything that involves looking at the cell phone while driving; (so I think talking on the phone is okay, with speakers or earsets)

Another interesting statistic from this survey reveals that men, meanwhile, were less hesitant to check in with their networks while at work. They also admitted to a much greater propensity to use social media while drunk or on the toilet.

Here is the original article: http://www.emarketer.com/Article/Social-Media-Multitasking-Go-Hand-Hand/1009792