Hard-to-open Packaging

Packaging plays a vital role in marketing for manufacturers, retailers, and consumers. Each group has different concerns. For example, manufacturers would care about how the product looks and whether the packaging was practical or not. As for retailers, they would emphasize more on issues such as how to avoid theft and whether the packaging is disposable. Consumers, on the other hand, would care more about how disposable or convenient is the packaging. Manufacturers package its products in hard plastic that is difficult to open for various reasons. Firstly, it prevents theft but most importantly, it avoids fragile products from breaking. As I read an external blog post that debates about the pro and cons of having such hard-to-open packaging.

Personally, I have purchased numerous products, from scientific calculators to toys for my cousins, where I experience huge problems trying to open the packaging. My scissors nearly broke from trying to cut the strong plastic open. After I successfully slit the packaging, I had to force it open with my hands. As a consumer, I like to see fancy and secure packaging when I am purchasing a product because it gives me a sense that the product is in good condition and is high quality. However, after I attempt to open them, I experienced a bit of buyer’s remorse because there were a couple of times where I injured my hand. Therefore, I would not purchase the same product in the future.