Thoughts Whilst Walking through Istanbul

I met you on the Istiklal Caddesi and we walked with the masses, bumping into strangers and each other, and we walked past three Starbucks, none of which you would let me enter. We were too busy, trying to see so much, in such a small amount of time. I wanted to hit the artsy Galata district, to take photos of graffiti and eye the beautiful hipsters. You wished to wander through the Süleymaniye neighborhood, with the students of Istanbul University, and then sip on freshly squeezed juice for 1 lira.

Today was a warm sunny day. I fear it will be one of the last before November’s chill sets in. I couldn’t help but get lost in my thoughts as we walked. My time here in Istanbul is more than halfway through and I am worrying that I haven’t made the most of it. I fear there are so many magical places, hidden nooks and crannies of this city, ones that I will never become acquainted with. I worry that I will forever be a voyeur, simply looking at the city, and forgetting to take part within it’s life. I’m worried that I haven’t learned enough Turkish and that I have yet to fall in love with a Turkish man. That I won’t be able to zip up my suitcase, especially with the 10 boxes of Turkish Delight I purchased today.

I know there are people who are as enchanted by this city as I am. I see them walking its streets, looking for something, whether it be a story, an adventure, vodka, a romance, a friend, some cultural insight, an escape from their disillusionment, a piece of baklava, a souvenir, or good old fashioned knowledge, we are all looking to capture a piece of Istanbul’s color within our hearts. Knowing this comforts me.

You and I say goodbye near the Şişhane Metro stop. Twas a good day.