Connections

Standard

Part of me was slightly surprised by the responses in our class of what home means. I really enjoyed reading many of the blog posts because they really came from a place of genuine passion. Home is special for everyone.

The Common Themes

As I mentioned in my blog, there seems to be a few common themes in what we call home. For most of us, it is a physical place, family or identity.
In Andrea’s blog she told a story that mirrored an Ancestry.com commercial. Her mother thought they were “English” therefore they followed the customs of the culture. However, after a DNA test it only proved to be much different. This sense of Identity is plays such an important role in our lives. It is not difficult to feel that “since I am this, I must do that“. Identity keeps us whole, gives us confidence in who we are, and justifies certain traits or characteristics. This is why “home” and “identity” are so closely linked. Nolan, also feels this strong sense of identity as he retells a family story and the culture around the asado. It is clear that the family plays a huge role in identity as well which is why many wrote about the connection.

Many people wrote that home was not a physical place, but one where they were with family. Our generation is used to moving around much more than previous generations which has meant that so many of us have had to cling to our parents and family for that sense of home. Earlier generations would have bought their first house and stayed there for the rest of their lives. Now we see homeowners buying what is affordable, then moving every few years as they move up the career ladder.
Globalization has also helped students move across the country, or the world to go to school. This is why in a few student blogs we have seen students from Ontario (Like me) or elsewhere. Charlotte describes moving back and forth between her two homes, one in BC and the other in Ontario. Home is a movable place, and it is where you keep comfortable. Ross described how home it where he creates memories or is the happiest.

My favourite quote from the blog posts was from Kristen Boyd who said “Can you collect them, pocketing the good ones and turning away from the darker ones?” This struck a cord with me because I have lived in many places and I enjoy collecting the experiences and memories. She also describes how home can be a person. Traveling and moving can be difficult but always made easier when it is with someone that you love and care about. It was a great point that I had not given enough thought to. The people in our lives are important and will help us through any difficulties that we might have along the way. Symbiotically caring for each other is one of the healthiest aspects of the home.

Alexis Long wrote a great blog that many Canadians and people around the world face. Racism is not something that I have to deal with as a white male and something that I will never experience on a personal level. So many groups of people throughout the country experience racism in so many different ways. It is interesting to get Alexis’ perspective on how she deals with her identity as well as the story of her grandfather. These stories are hugely important for us to understand so that we can move forward in Canada with so many different races and religions.