Noisy Neighbours – What can you do about it?

Noisy Neighbours and what you can do about it

Do you have noisy neighbours?  Or are You the noisy neighbour?  Well, I want to discuss noisy neighbours and noise regulations in Canada and the USA in this short but succinct article.  What is too loud?  What is too long?  What day should there be no noise?  What time should there be peace and quiet?

What I have seen in Canada’s and America’s neighbourhoods

I have seen people trying to take a nap on a  sunny Sunday afternoon in their backyard only to be disturbed by lawn mowing.  I have also seen families trying to rest up from a hard week and people bringing out their chainsaws on Sunday to cut down trees and logs for hours on end.  I have seen sickly people trying to get better after a spell of bad fortune only to be hindered by neighbours running their outside generator for 1 week straight to water their lawn.  I have seen neighbours trimming their lawn edge every single day of the week to have the prettiest yard (or so they think) in the area.

And what I have not seen is anyone ever complain.  How is that possible?

Americans and Canadians do not want peace and quiet

It seems that Americans and Canadians alike do not want peace and quiet.  In fact, I think that the vast majority does not even notice the neighbour being noisy and disturbing their freedom to rest.  And if they do notice, they are either to afraid to say something and have a confrontation or want to be noisy themselves and, therefore, shut up about it.

What is the obsession with noisy machinery?

This begs the question what this obsession with noisy machinery (lawn mowers, trimmers, chainsaws, dirt bikes, quads, etc.) is all about.  I believe the North American does not want much quiet time during the day or Sundays.  He is quite contend with loud noises and the energy it seems to give him.  I have seen this particularly with retired people.  The less they have to work to make a living, the more they start buying machinery (gas powered garden equipment, etc.) to work on their houses and yards or to have fun (see dirt bikes, quads, etc).

What can a person who wants peace and quiet do?

• If you want at least your Sunday to be quite:

Well, there is not much you can do other than complain to the neighbour and tell him to give you some quiet and peace at least on the only day that is not meant for working.  The law is not on your side and you will be at the mercy of your neighbours character and attitude.  Canada or the US do not hold to even One quiet day a week.  Any day is fair game when it comes to being noisy and disturbing the people around you.

• If you want peace and quiet after lunch or in the evening:

Again, the laws for the noise regulation during certain times of the day vary from community to community but in general you can only expect to be free of noise between 10 or 11 pm at night to about 7 am in the morning (and that includes the weekend).  Now, that is the theory.  In reality people might still have parties or play music and laugh and talk in their backyards in the summer till well after midnight.

People that need rest from noise are screwed in North America

Now comes the kicker:  There really is no well policed quiet time in Canada or the US.  Maybe because most people don’t really care or need rest or because the policing of the law is too relaxed.  As a person that wants safe, dependable quiet times during the week, I suffer from this attitude.  The Loud are not regulated and the people who need quiet are not listened to.  Wake up North America – some people need rest and do not want to hear your noise all the time.  Stop and think about the people around you – you are not the only person in the world.  You might affect others in a bad way without even giving it a second thought.

Author of:  Tilt and Turn Windows Vancouver, Tilt and Turn Windows Calgary , Frameless Doors, Invisible Doors, Tilt and Turn Windows Canada

Tilt and Turn Window Security

Tilt and Turn Window Security

Break-Ins and Burglary (know as forced entry when it comes to window testing) is a real problem in some areas of the world.  Windows are a natural weak point in a house because glass is a large component of a window.  So, it is only logical for someone to try to come into the house through the windows by either manipulating the lock or breaking the glass.  We can often see metal bars (similar to prison bars) in front of windows with the aim to keep intruders out.

Tilt and Turn Windows offer an easier way to protect yourself from forced entries.  The 3 main ways that Tilt and Turn Windows accomplish this are as follows:

1. Double or Triple Glazing with .060 Laminated Glass

Laminated Glass is made up of 2 sheets of glass with a PVC interlayer.  A glass type commonly seen in windshields of cars.  The idea is that the lamination between the 2 sheets of glass will hold the glass together in case of breakage.  The thicker the laminated layer (.060″ or .030″) the harder it is to force a hole into the glass.

1. Multiple Locking Points

The sash of the window is the movable part and houses the turning, tilting and locking mechanism.  Through the 180 degree action of the handle, the window can be moved from locked, through turning to tilting position and back again.  In the locked position the stainless steel mechanism has round nodes that line up and engage with the lock housing on the window frame.  Instead of there being only one lock housing as seen with sliding or single (double) hung windows, there are between 2-6 lock housings depending on the level of security you need.  Thus we speak of multiple locking points.

1. Steel re-enforced sash and frame

Both the sash and frame of Tilt & Turn Windows have steel L-Angles inserted into them.  This adds tremendous strength to the window making it virtually impossible to break the sash or frame with conventional means.

The combination of the 3 points above makes Tilt & Turn Windows the strongest of the 5 common window types (sliding, hung, casement, awning, tilt & turn).  A man with a sledge hammer will take a very long time to get a hole into the window that is large enough to reach in and turn the handle.

Author of:  Tilt and Turn Windows Vancouver , Frameless Doors, Invisible Doors, Tilt and Turn Windows Calgary

Past, Present and Future of the Internet

I was in Grade 10 when the Internet was just getting main stream.  I remember getting my first email address at university 2 years later.  It was very weird – some strange code with an “@” symbol.  I hardly used it for anything.  But going online and seeing websites for the first time was addictive right away.  All the things/subjects you had a love for could now be accessed anytime – as long as your dial-up connection was reasonably fast.  I remember downloading pictures of my favorite cartoon/anime characters at a friends house that had internet unto a floppy and then uploading them to my computer at home (where I did not have internet).  Well that was the romance of the early years.

What the Internet has become (as of 2020)

One word: Money.  The internet has become a place to make money.  Lots of money and the faster the better.  Some will say:  It always was like that.  To that I say:  Maybe, but not to the extend it has progressed to.  It is now all-encompassing.  Advertising has multiplied by a factor of 10 over the last 10 years alone.  Where once average people had a small website of their favorite subject (a computer game or TV show, perhaps) there now is a tremendous horde of websites showing god knows what to attract as many people as possible to make as much money as possible on the advertisements cluttered throughout the site.  It has become hard to distinguish what is original website material and what is advertising material as in many instances the commercials outrank the website material in volume.

Personal Know-How of the Internet

I have a few websites myself – none of which have a single advertisement on it.  I have not sold myself, yet.  I have to do SEO (search engine optimization) for my business sites in order to get a decent rank in the search engines, so I have a good understanding how it all works these days.  When I read articles or any kind of info on the internet these days I cringe.  99% of all that is written these days only serves ONE purpose:  Drive traffic to some website and increase the rank of that website in the process – plus also make money of the advertising that is dispersed throughout the article.  It is sickening when you really understand what is happening.  The is almost no single piece of information out there these days that is written purely to inform.  Everything that is published online these days has the taste of “having an agenda”.

A look into the Future

The future of the Internet is bleak.  I do not know how many more commercials and advertisements can be shown on any one website at one time.  But I am sure it can be more.  Maybe we will get 2 minutes of commercials before a 5 second youtube video soon.  Maybe we will have to pay money to have someone remove these advertisements if we do not want to see them anymore (oh wait, that is already in place).  Maybe people will have to pay google for their website even to show up on their platform.  It all boils down to the greed of man.  If there is an opportunity to make money most will do anything it takes no matter what it leads to.

Author:  Owner of Tilt and Turn Windows Vancouver , Frameless Doors, Invisible Doors, Tilt and Turn Windows Canada

Start your First Business the Right Way Right Away

Many small business start-ups fail.  Some succeed.  What is the difference between the ones that fail and the ones that succeed?  As an owner of several small businesses I want to share my insights of what I have noticed to be the critical points when starting anything with the intend to make money.

Be realistic and do not aim too high

As with all things in life it is best if you take off those pink-eyed goggles and look at things realistically.  If you want to start a business that will make you, let’s say, $30,000 profit per year, go in with the assumption that it will only make you $15,000.  Reality is always different from what you hope for.  There are many potential problems that you have often no control over that can slow down or halt your business growth.  So, be conservative in your expectations and you will protect yourself from an emotional let-down if things don’t go as well as you hoped for.

Have a Plan that Simple and Easy to put into Action

First of all you need a plan.  Complicated business ideas are more likely to fail, so the plan needs to be as simple as possible.  On top of being simple it also needs to be able to be realized fairly quickly.  Business plans that involve months of set-up time, for example, are less than ideal.

Example of a basic 3-step Plan:

1) Research a niche product that sells well through online channels

2) Make a website to sell your product (should not take more than 2-3 weeks to set-up)

3) Buy ‘Product A’, buy ‘Product B’, put them together and sell the resulting ‘Product C’ on said website

Keep it Small

Do not hire any employees – do it all yourself.  The more people you have to manage, the more problems and issues will arise.  In order to keep 100% control of day-to-day activities, which is necessary for optimal efficiency, you need to be able to handle all aspects of the business yourself.

Do not Invest a large amount of Money at the Beginning

Do not, I repeat, do not invest a lot of money at the start of the business.  Ideally stay under $5,000 as the initial investment.  There will be less pressure which will keep you more relaxed to make good decisions.

Never borrow Money to start the Business

Yes, you heard right – do not borrow money from anyone to start the business.  Do not get the start-up capital from angel investors either.  The only way you will be earnestly invested in your own business is if you use your own hard-earned cash as the start-up capital.  If you use money that comes easy, you will tend to be less serious about everything because it does not hurt as much if you should fail and lose everything.

Be Frugal

I cannot stress this point enough.  Do not buy a lot.  Do not buy expensive equipment (a simple plan would not need it).  Buy used equipment and supplies if possible.  Make things last by treating them gently.

In summary:  Spend little – earn much.  Your profit is the difference between the money that goes out and the money that comes in.  Sounds simple but most first-time business owners seem to be oblivious to this truth.

Always do your own Taxes

There is a saying:  “It’s not what you make, but what you keep.”  This is extremely true.  I have seen people waste thousands of dollars at the end of their fiscal year on accountants.  Doing your taxes is easy and with a little help from the internet (and tax software) anybody can do it.  This way you have the ability to play around with the numbers as long as you want until you get as close to the “ideal scenario” as possible.

Concluding Thoughts

If you want to go big right away, you will most likely fail or be much less efficient than starting small and simple.  Doing everything  yourself (marketing, accounting, manufacturing, sales, deliveries, service, repairs, etc.) teaches you a lot of new things and makes you stronger and tougher in the business world.  Be afraid – yes, be very afraid to lose money.  The result will be that you will keep a closer look on your profits and efficiently increase them over time.  There is nothing worse than” spend-happy”, fearless, first-time entrepreneurs that squander their capital with, at best, a vague idea of what they are actually doing.

Author:  Owner of Tilt and Turn Windows Edmonton , Frameless Doors, Invisible Doors, Tilt and Turn Windows Calgary

Tilt and Turn Window Technology in Canada

Tilt and Turn Windows at the Lowest Prices in the US and Canada

We decided to focus all our attention on Tilt & Turn windows and Lift and Slide Doors for American and Canadian home owners and builders.  What would you say if you can buy the overall best performing window type at an affordable price?  We aim to do just that.

We offer Tilt & Turn Windows in Vancouver and Patio Doors by DAKO.  Rapidly expanding, they are one of Europe’s best selling window companies that has vast experience supplying the International Market.  Window profiles come from Rehau and the hardware is supplied by Winkhaus.  Both are well-know German companies with a long history and strong track record.

Price Matters

We are firm believers that prices matter.  The best products in the world are useless to the average person if their price is out-of-reach.  So, we aim to offer the best prices in North America.  Feel free to email or call us and get a quote on the windows you need.  There is no minimum order quantity.  We can ship anywhere in the US or Canada.

Performance

Thermal and Acoustic Performance of all our windows is far better than virtually any regular sliding or casement window of the same size.  That might sound like an arrogant statement but we know it is true.  All of our employees, without exception, have our windows installed their homes and can speak from experience.   Imagine sleeping better because your bedroom is now virtually soundproof to the outside.  Your kitchen window might be facing a noisy neighbor – well, no worries, we have the window that will solve your problem.

Testing

Any window that gets installed in the US or Canada needs to be tested and conform to NAFS and CSA.  DAKO meets all of North America’s testing requirements and every window has its required label.  Peace-of-mind for the home owner is important to us.

Europeans, Americans and Asians – Cultural Differences and Racism Exposed

This article focuses on the following 3 cultural groups:  Europeans, North Americans and Asians.  In particular it focuses on their general characteristics based on my observations and engagements with each culture.  I have lived in 15 different places over the last 40 years and have a multitude of experiences with each culture – some bad, some good and some neutral.  I will list the positive and negative tendencies of each of the chosen cultural groups.

For the Europeans I refer to Central and Northern Europeans.  For North Americans I refer to Americans and Canadians.  And lastly, for Asians I refer to the Chinese and Indians (from India).

I am writing things as I have experienced them and the reader should make the most out of it.  Some things will be hurtful but nonetheless the truth.  And truth is what we should all be after, right?

What are the categories I will be discussing?

1. a) Attitude towards Other Cultures
  2. b) Attitude towards Nature
  3. c) Attitude towards Money
  4. d) Attitude towards Work
  5. e) Attitude towards Sharing and Helping Others
  6. f) Attitude towards Higher Values and Morals
  7. g) Fears and Pleasures
  8. h) General Character Traits and Outlook on Life and the World

The European Culture

Overview:

As a cultural group, the Europeans have been around for at least 2,000-3,000 years.  That length of time has led to a high level of cultural sophistication.  To have a culture (or to be cultured) means to have refined your behaviour, ideas, morals and social etiquette numerous times over a certain length of time.  This refinement process is analogous  to a stone being eroded by natural forces until it becomes more and more rounded and reaches a more ‘mature’ state.  Europeans are also the most influenced group when it comes Christianity.  The bibles’ teachings have had a huge influence on their thinking, attitudes and character development.

1. a) Attitudes towards Other Cultures

The European has a lot of contact with other cultures due to work related immigration, tourism and, more recently, a large amount of refugees.  Europeans will base their attitude towards other cultures based on direct contact and the media.  Europeans look at others and make a judgement if the other group is good or bad, right or wrong, crazy or sane, weird or logical.  They will have established a firm character pattern for each cultural group based on what they know about them.  This makes them probably the most solid character judges of all people on the earth today.  Nonetheless, the European still believes in not getting involved in other cultures affairs and thinks that each culture and race should be able to do whatever they want in their own home country or region.

1. b) Attitude towards Nature

The European sees nature as precious and worth protecting which is in part a character trait and in part due to less nature being available since population density is generally high.  The general attitude is that nature should be left in its original form (tall grass, bushes and trees growing as nature intended).  There is less tendency to replace nature with park-like landscapes where the grass is mowed to perfection (as you see it in North America, for example).

1. c) Attitude towards Money

Europeans see money as a means to an end and not as an end in itself.  They work to live instead of living to work.  The quest to accumulate money (and other riches such as real estate, cars, etc.) is much less evident in Europe than it is in Asia or America.  In fact, many Europeans frown at people that show off with their money.  Greed is something to be fought against rather than encouraged.  Europeans are also very open when it comes to discussing how much money they make.  It is definitely not a ‘Tabu’ subject as with many other cultures.

1. d) Attitude towards Work

A less know fact about Europeans is that they actually do not like to work as much as other cultures think.  Having a multitude of very successful companies such as Volkswagen, Volvo, Daimler-Benz, BASF, Lego, Bosch, Saint-Gobain, etc. does not mean that these people live to go to work.  Rather it means that the love for order and efficient work leads to success in business.  Europeans want to and really do go home earlier, spend less time at work and have much more paid vacation time than the other cultures we will be discussing later.

1. e) Attitude towards Sharing and Helping Others

Europeans are generally very social and will do things for the common good even if it means sacrificing their own money or belongings.  The laws in most European countries are meant to protect the weak rather than the strong who do not need any monetary help.  I believe  that Europeans are humble enough to realise that is could hit them hard one day and, therefore, happily pay higher taxes to support a solid welfare system.  So when it is their turn one day to fall, they can rest assured that the government has their back and will not let them rot in the streets.

1. f) Attitude towards Higher Values and Morals

Of course, morality and higher values have been on the decline worldwide and will continue to do so.  But Europeans have kept the highest standard when compared to Asians and North Americans.  Morality  is a well understood concept and idea in Europe.  Children get taught ethics in school as a subject like math or science.  So does religion such as Christianity and nowadays even Islam.  Hence, the European places importance on values beyond working, eating, sleeping and procreating (the basic animalistic drive).  Higher Value societies also show a different set of laws and rules than the more animalistic cultures that tend to worship the basics.  You tend to encounter rules that further peace and quiet rather than a “do-whatever-you-want” approach.  Again, to have a higher standard of morals will lead to a desire to protect the weak rather than letting the strong take over completely (which is what we see in the animal kingdom).

1. g) Fears and Pleasures

The European usually fears that their privacy and way-of-live is in danger.  This is seen when larger groups (refugees, immigrants, etc.) of a particular nationality sweep into other European countries and start living by their ex-country’s rules and standards.  The European feels that what they have build up and shaped over hundreds of years might fall victim to non-ideal change.  There is also a fear in most European countries of possible chaos ensuing if you do not create exact rules and tightly enforce them.

Their pleasure is to have an orderly system of living with plenty of routine build in.  And  cosiness is a key concept in Europe – be it in once house or with friends at the local pub/bar/restaurant.  Times for coffee and cake, times for tea, times for walk, times for hobbies, times for work, etc.  Europeans value their free-time over anything else.  Work is completed efficiently and fast in order for their free-time to start already.  You see this in school hours where elementary school and high school finishes no later than 12:40pm (whereas in North America you have schools finish at 3:30 or even 4pm).  Other pleasures include travelling and a well-thought-out sense of right and wrong.

1. h) General Character Traits and Outlook on Life and the World

The European is a right-and-wrong type of person that will work as much as is needed but seldom more than required to maintain themselves and their family with an adequate standard of living.  Getting rich and powerful is a less common character trait for them.  It is hard to “bribe” a European with money since he values other things more.  They value their privacy and are not afraid of telling people what they really think.  With a European you generally know what they are all about and if they agree or disagree with you.  Europeans know quite a bit about other countries and cultures and usually speak or partly understand at least 2 languages (their own and English).  They are well aware of what they can do and have accomplished.  Combine that with a love for the truth and being outspoken, they can seem to be condescending to other cultures.  They value a life where they are taken care-of when things don’t go so well and that’s where high taxes and a great welfare system come into play.

The North American Culture

Overview:

As a cultural group, Americans and Canadians have been around for about 300 years.  With the exception of Native and African Americans, all other North Americans are really Europeans that for some reason did not see a future in Europe and, therefore, emigrated to NA .  The cultural level is very low in NA due to the short time to refine living and thinking standards but also due to European immigrants often being happy to leave their previous culture behind them and having more freedom.  Currently NA is in an ‘unmature’ state with no realistic chances of a change.  Americans and Canadians were influenced by Christianity up to about the 1940s and 50s but have discarded most of that influence since then.  An example for that would be the type of Christmas songs you see in NA – very few biblical songs but a whole lot of secular ones instead (Jingle Bells, Dreaming of a White Christmas, etc.) The bibles’ teachings have had a huge influence on their thinking, attitudes and character development at one point but mainstream America and Canada have succumb to the all-powerful consumerism life-style a long time ago.

1. a) Attitudes towards Other Cultures

The North American knows other cultures from TV, the internet or from tourists that come into their the US or Canada.  Generally NAs are not well travelled throughout the world.  That fact hurts them when dealing with other cultures they come into contact with.  NAs are consumed by their own self to a point where they cannot really make accurate judgements anymore.  But, nonetheless,  they seem very accepting of others and are kind in word and deed when meeting new people.  That tendency makes them appear as some of the most friendly people on the globe.  However, that seemingly friendly and accepting nature is eclipsed by their tendency to forget about you very quickly and not really meaning what they say.  A good example is well-know greeting: “How are you?”  Seems very caring but does by no means mean that the person saying it wants to know how you are doing.  Americans in particular are very concerned about other cultures when it might have a negative impact on their lives (monetary impact) and ,so, will get involved in matters that should not concern them – by force if necessary.  Examples are all wars they fought over oil, bananas and political world views.

1. b) Attitude towards Nature

The North American says that he values nature and overall he does have a lot of semi-wilderness still.   But overall, the US and Canada will bulldoze down a forest/field/swamp without hesitancy if a new pipeline (for example) promises more money.  The general attitude is that nature should never take priority over mans’ achievements and progress.  They do like their parks and like manicured lawns – an old character trait that stems from the British who thought that long grass in front of a person’s house looks “poor”.  It is, again, an attitude that has to do with wanting to appear wealthy (because wealth is good and poverty is bad).  Overall NAs enjoy nature where it suits them but are not true nature lovers/protectors – an example of this can be seen in California where you can drive your car/pick-up truck on sandy beaches at the ocean (just crush all those little animals living there – what a great idea!)

1. c) Attitude towards Money

NAns see money and power as an end in itself – they strive for it like nothing else.  They truly live to work.  The quest to accumulate money (and other riches such as real estate, cars, etc.) is very evident in America.  In fact, nobody gives it a second thought when people show off their big houses and cars – it seems nobody sees being a ‘show-off’ as something bad.  Instead, greed is being encouraged by the North American system where people are told to get ‘ahead in life’ and to ‘do well for yourself’.  NAs are, however, not open when it comes to discussing how much money they make.  It is all a big secret and I do not want to let my competition (friends, neighbours, etc.) know how my monetary situation really is.  The love of wealth comes from a fear of being poor and a ‘nobody’.  It shows how far NA’s really are from higher virtues.

1. d) Attitude towards Work

Due to their fear of being poor, Americans and Canadians like to work a lot.  There are no regulated work hours and 40, 50, 60 hours per week are not unheard of.  If there is money to be made, NAs will take the opportunity and go to work.  This does not mean, however, that they are doing a whole lot of quality work in NA.  All it means is that they work relatively long hours with a low to medium quality output.  An example are cashiers in NA that work at 3 times lower speed than in Europe (hence long line-ups and a slow process of getting things done).  Americas work enthusiasm has led to large companies being formed in the US such as Apple, Walmart, Microsoft, Ford, and many others.  Company-wise Canada has nothing to speak of with ‘McCain’ probably being the only world-wide recognised brand.  Overall, work-ethic is poor in NA and compensated by longer hours worked.

While friendly on the outside, NAs are not fond of sharing and taking care of their countries’ needy people.  “Everyone for themselves” is the common attitude – if you cannot make it on your own, don’t expect anyone else to help you (an old ‘rough-and-tough’ wild-west attitude).  The laws in NA are meant to help those who are already doing well by not taking enough money from them and helping those in need.  With the decline of moral values in North America, the people there have forgotten (or probably never even thought of it) that tomorrow it could hit them and they will need help – and what then?  Nobody has your back in NA and it shows itself in self-absorbed greediness where everyone wants to protect the only person that matters – themselves.  An example would be the common sight of 3 cars in the drive-way with a pleasure boat and 2 ATVs for extra fun – and all that while others in the your country cannot afford to go to the hospital.  What a great society!

A lot of Americans will claim to have morals and higher values and a belief in God (Canadians are generally not so big on morality when associated with Christianity) .  But sadly, the claimed morality and sense of good and evil is not evident in the life of NAs.  Any place that values higher values more than money will show that through their laws.  NA has no such laws and things are run on basic level where whatever works for the enhancement of oneself is good.  Morality  and Ethics are a relic of the past in NA.  It is not taught in school and public schools will definitely not touch the such topics as greed (money-hunger) and that a show-off mentality is evil, etc.  Hence, the North American places importance on working, eating, sleeping and procreating (the basic animalistic drive).  Critical thinking is practically non-existent – and even the people that claim to have high morals (usually Christians) will still succumb to a life with 3 cars and cabin on the lake without realising that they are part of the consumer culture that values wealth and ease over anything else. A good example of the lack of higher values is the fact that North America will allow work and noise (lawnmowers, construction, etc.) even on Sundays.

1. g) Fears and Pleasures

The fear of becoming poor and being a nobody is probably the most common fear evident in NA.  This fear drives the NA people and makes them what they are today – opportunistic beasts hunting for a monetarily secure future (for themselves).  Other fears include being honest and transparent to others.  Nobody wants others to see their weaknesses.  An example would be the answer you get when you ask a North American how they are “really” doing:  “Oh, I’m doing great”, they would say.  Well, nobody is doing great all the time and most likely it is a lie – and that is where honesty and transparency would do the NA society a lot of good. Next is the fear of losing which is evident when you look at the huge energy input into wars (and the large army the Americans maintain).  Americans (and Canadians to a lesser extend) fear being losers.  Related to loosing is the fear of being told that you are no good or “know nothing about the world”.  North Americans love to keep their own ego bolstered and fear being told what’s right and wrong.

Their drive for pleasure is unrivalled in the world.  They do everything for their fun and enjoyment – even if it costs a lot of money and comes at the expense of others.  This is seen in their expensive toys such as huge cars, dirt-bikes, ATVs, speed boats, etc.  They are and outgoing culture show little interest in cosiness at home.  Their pleasures comes from going to restaurants and generally having public fun and entertainment like sporting events and shopping (in malls, etc.).  Eating is a huge pleasure for them – no other country in the world has such huge, sugar-rich, overall unhealthy meals as the USA.  The American (more so than the Canadian) likes to eat a lot.  Another overlooked pleasure is working for the average North American.  I have seen retired and working adults alike labouring away for hours on weekends (and Sundays) in the garage, shop, garden, house, where they build things, change things, improve things, paint things, and so on.  They cannot sit still and “listen to the birds” – they find pleasure in keeping busy and working away if it accomplishes very little or sometimes nothing.  Lastly, a well-know pleasure is owning and shooting guns – all kinds of them:  Revolvers, rifles, shotguns, machine guns, etc.  With “gun-fun” comes hunting and many Americans and Canadians in general have little respect (or any sort of feeling) for animals and like to hunt and kill them for pleasure.

The North American is not a right-and-wrong (good-and-evil) type of person but rather a live-it-up type.  They strive to get rich and powerful at the expense of others in their own countries and others in the world in general.  Their consumerism and want for things to show-off with is most likely unrivalled in the world.  Cosiness is not a need for them.  One example of that is the way they can live in Jeans (even when at home sitting on the couch) and feel quite comfortable.  And they often rather meet their friends in a cafe or restaurant than in their own house.  Americans and Canadians have a hard time to tell you what they really think and openly talk about money – there is a lot of hiding your feelings and being secretive about  a lot of things.  Transparency is generally not appreciated.  It seems they don’t want others to be able to make an accurate judgement about them.  North Americans usually just speak English with the exception on recent immigrants (from Mexico, etc.), of course, or the Quebecois.  They are a people that care most about themselves and over-estimate their value and worth in the world because they have little to do with anybody beyond their borders.  When it comes to protecting and caring for the less fortunate in their countries, North Americans are generally openly opposed to it – “everybody should to take care of themselves”, is the normal response when you confront them with the dismal state of the welfare system in the USA and Canada.

The Asian Culture (Chinese, Hindus and Sikhs)

Overview:

Indian and Chinese cultures are fairly old – 3,000-8,000 years is the common assumption with the Chinese culture being older than the Indians.  The cultural level is high and firmly established with non-Christian beliefs having shaped their culture and way of doing things.  Both , the Indian and Chinese people are firmly entrenched in their views and thought patterns with respect to other nations around the globe.  You also notice a strong “I do not care about the way other people do things” attitude with Indians and Chinese – as long as they get their way everything is quite alright.  Chinese are quite hard to read (in regards to their body language and facial expressions) where as Indians are a little more transparent in that regard.  Both cultures stick to their own people and only very rarely do you see them mixing socially with each other or other races.

1. a) Attitudes towards Other Cultures

The Chinese and Indians know other cultures from TV and the media but many Chinese also travel a little more often to other countries as tourists and have some knowledge about other people.  Both cultures exhibit a strong indifference to other cultures.  There is no real like or dislike of other races but they are not interested in mingling with them and stick to their own people and ways of doing things most of the time.  Interracial marriage is rare for both the Chinese and the Indians.  Both cultures do not get involved in other nations issues with the exception of the Chinese exerting economic pressure on other countries when it suit/benefits them economically.   The Indians are the more welcoming of the 2 races when you meet face to face and want to engage in conversation.  The Chinese are very stand-offish and it would be quite impossible to get into a heart-felt conversation especially because the (mainland) Chinese are notorious for speaking only Chinese.  Indians do have a better understanding of at least one other language (usually English) and that makes them more approachable for others that speak English (or know a little) .  Both cultures do not want other cultures to get to close to them (physically as well as psychologically).

1. b) Attitude towards Nature

The Asian does not care a much about nature when it comes to leaving it alone and/or preserving it.  It is all about profit for them and if nature stands in the way, it will be removed without remorse.  Chinese do enjoy park settings (manicured lawns, etc.) more than natural beauty.  Indians can hardly be seen in any natural setting or activity such as hiking in the mountains, etc.  An example would be the general Chinese (outspoken) attitude that nature is there for their use (be it the earth, animals or plants) and that they have every right to exploit it as they see fit.   Both cultures would urbanise all the world given the chance without a second thought.  Their immense drive for success (monetarily) pushes everything else aside.

1. c) Attitude towards Money

Of all the people in the world, the Chinese and Indian people worship money and all that it brings them..  They truly live to work. If it were up to them they would go at it 16 hours a day, 7 days in a row.  The quest to accumulate money, buy expensive things and then show them off is paramount in their minds.  The Chinese say: “Try to get rich or die trying”.  An example would be the fact that most large houses (mansions, really) owned by the Chinese in North America have perfect exteriors and 4 expensive cars (BMW, Bentley, Mercedes, Land-Rover) parked in front.  Add to that the fact that many rooms on the inside are left empty without furniture or carpet to save money on non-essential spaces because other people will only see the exterior and be envious of the wealth/success they see.  Neither the Chinese nor Indian cultures have a conscience that says that greed and self-centerdness is bad (evil).  The Chinese will wait 30 min in front of gas stations if there is a chance they can save 4 cents per litre (a whopping $3.50 for a large car).  Indians will do fast, low quality work for just a hair less profit (than others) to grab all the business in a certain sector of the economy and monopolise it).  Money is king with both these cultures and they will cheat, lie and go over your dead body to achieve it.

1. d) Attitude towards Work

Chinese and Indians are not shy when it comes to working.  They have no problem with working 16 hours a day – everyday.  They do this at the expense of spending time with their family (wife, husband, children, pets, etc.).  Working gives them money and money gives them power and goods to show off with.  So, there can never be enough opportunity and work for them.  They work fast and hard – so it cannot be said that they work inefficiently.   However, the quality they produce is lacking.  Chinese and Indian products are well known to have low quality and short longevity.  A sign that the work done to produce them was loveless and hurried (and they are generally not ashamed of their low quality goods).  The term “quality time” is strange to these cultures and work – and the associated benefits it brings them –  really is the highest aim for the Chinese and Indians.

The Chinese and Indians are very indifferent when it comes to others and that shows itself in an almost total lack of wanting to share and help other poorer people.  In 25 years, I have never seen a Chinese or Indian person giving money to any beggar or street performer in the city.  Chinese and Indians will always consider themselves first and, given the choice, will help their kids get rich quicker and buy them a car or two and pay their tuition for college or university.  If they had the power in their non-native countries, Chinese and Indians would abolish governmental social help and assistance in an instant (even though many take advantage of this very assistance in Canada and the USA).  The Chinese in particular are notorious of not helping strangers in need (car broken down, etc.).  Indians (Sikhs) do have their own temples where they welcome all people with food (24/7)and a dry bed for the night – but usually this only taken advantage of by their own people due to language barriers or lack of knowledge of the other cultures.  Overall I would rate the Indian people more people friendly and engaging and slightly more giving than the Chinese who generally only deal with themselves and their own (family) interests.

The Chinese do claim to be lovers of higher values and morality and also do act like it – so there is hypocrisy there.  Indians (Sikhs) do claim to have higher values such as religion but, sadly, it does not show in everyday life.  So they are the more hypocritical of the two Asian cultures I am examining.  When it comes right down to it, we see that money and the accumulation of wealth drives both these cultures to the extreme and leaves no room for any other values or morality.  Critical thinking and soul searching are non-existent for them due to other priorities (money) out crowding everything else.  If you talk to a Chinese or Indian person and mention that they should slow down in their money chasing and give some to others of need help, they will either not know what you mean (and stare blankly at you) or outright laugh at you.  The gods of the Asian cultures are mostly “money gods” or “good-fortune gods”.

1. g) Fears and Pleasures

The Chinese and Indians have a terrible fear of being (or becoming) poor.  They fear this the most and that is why they are so driven and usually very successful at most things that they undertake.  The Chinese in particular tend to fear other races and try not to have too much personal contact with them (in that regard, the Indians are more robust and social with other cultures).  They also fear “loosing face” in front of their own people and put on a “mask” so to speak.  Overall it is a very interesting fact that the cultures that fear poverty the most have a huge poverty problem in the native country.

Indian like working a lot but also partying.  They like to dance, eat and be cheerful.  They like to buy expensive things (cars, houses, etc.) and show them off to the world (in an attempt to get others to envy them).  Chinese like to work as well but also going out to restaurants and malls.  They are particular font of sitting around in malls and enjoying the safe, air conditioned spaces in the summer (not really buying anything – just using the free amendments).  They also love to go their own restaurants and sit there for hours eating and socialising with their own kind.  Of course, a great pleasure is to show off their wealth to others in an attempt to create jealousy in others.

Just like the North American, the Asian is not a right-and-wrong (good-and-evil) type person.  They do not see the world that way.  The world, for them, is about having success and being prosperous.  If morals or religious thoughts are in the way, they would get eliminated quickly.  They are not at all concerned with others (their culture or another) and are in competition with everyone else.  There is no need for cosiness or ethical raising of children.  Life is about getting rich or dying trying.  Consumerism is high but not quite as high as with North Americans.  Showing-off is a definite need for the Chinese and Indians.  Language-wise, the Asians cultures are more flexible than the Americans and Canadians and rival the Europeans.  However, Asians tend not to want to associate with other cultures unless they have no choice (in business, for example).  Business-wise , Asians have been exploited in the past up till today (by Western cultures) partly due to their predictability when it comes to their life expectations and their character being ruled by the all-mighty dollar.  In other words, the Asian has the least amount of resistance to being “bought” (i.e. corruption, etc.).  Adequate welfare systems do not exist either in China or India and nobody would be able to organise or see the need for such an undertaking.  Critical thinking about their state of mind and morals do not exist with the majority of Asians.  And, hence, it is impossible to discuss any matters beyond the topic of acquiring more money (to have a better life, etc.).  Due to their fear of transparency, it is difficult to get to really know Asians as they will always put up a front and not let you into their secret world.

Let’s talk about Racism

Let us define “Racism”:  A generalised association of a certain statement with a race.

But let us use a few examples to see what racism sounds like.

1. a) Americans are friendly and helpful.
  2. b) Italians are lazy.
  3. c) Germans are cold-hearted.
  4. d) Japanese are hard-working.

All of the above are racist statements because they associate a trait like, for example,  “being lazy” with the majority/entire race of the Italians.

The first and last examples above might not sound racist to most people but that is because they mention positive character traits and are, hence, readily overlooked.  Racism is not a bad or good thing in itself – it is merely a generalisation with reference to a certain race.  That generalisation might be true or false.  Most people are scared of the term “Racism” but that is because they have not critically examined its meaning.  I would bet a lot of money that no American would call you a racist if you go up to him and tell him that you think that “Americans are friendly and helpful” (see example (a) above) – and yet that statement is racist.

When I compare different races and cultures and attach certain characteristics to them (by describing their actions and attitudes) I am being racist.  And being racist is important.  Why?  Because without it you would not be able “to see the forest for the trees”, so to speak.  Oftentimes generalisations (such as in racism) and help us understand issues that would normally be hidden by the often complex and chaotic nature of the world.

People that do not want others to be racist just want to cover-up glaring truths in order not to deal with them.  Because if you say that “every person is different” or “not all people of one race are like that” you are trying to escape having to judge a possible real issue.  You are trying to keep your rose-coloured glasses on and not having to deal with it.  I understand that most people feel better when they are not faced with critical evaluations of life around them – ‘just let everybody do, think and be whatever they want and who’s to say what is good or bad (right and wrong), anyway’.

Something that all the anti-racist people are forgetting is that without pointing out bad (or good) character traits of a certain race you can never have a change for the better.  If you deny an issue then it does not exist – and whatever does not exist, does not need to be fixed.  ‘Turning a blind eye’ is one of the fundamental weaknesses humans have in this world.

Overview and Final Thoughts

Racial Differences are real.  Attitudes, likes, dislikes, character traits, fears and pleasures of the different races/cultures on the globe are different.  Some races exhibit more negative traits than others.  Some are more giving.  Some are more selfish.  Some are thoughtful, others not so much.  In this article I have drawn on the experiences I have had with the  3 groups I discussed: Northern/Central Europeans vs. North Americans vs. Asian (Chinese/Indian).  The observations come from living on 3 continents in 16 different places over a span of 40 years.

I want to urge everybody to tell things how they see them.  Take off your rose-coloured glasses and critically investigate a subject.  Don’t just call racism bad because you heard everybody else do that.  If you perceive something or someone or a certain group (i.e. race) to be right or wrong (good or bad), chances are that you are correct a lot of times.  We have enough thought-lazy, half-asleep people in the world – do not be one of them.

Work Less and Make More Money

Succeed in Business – Work Less and Make More Money

How to work less and earn more money is a topic that many, many people have written about. But I still feel it is worth for me to throw in what I have learned by being self-employed in Canada for the last 6 years.  It is a good thing for younger people to hear what others have experienced when they started their own business and became self-employed.  The things that have worked for me can then be copied by others and the things that have been disastrous for me can be avoided.

The Goal of Working Less

The goal is to work less hours per day, week, month, while at the same time to keep earning enough money to sustain you.  Ideally you want to make as much money per month with the least amount of effort and time input. Some people (myself being one of them) want to work less and have just enough money to sustain a very basic life style.  Others, and this is probably the majority, wants to work less but still maintain a higher standard of living with nice cars and all the other creature comforts that so many people crave.  In either case, the goal remains the same and everyone will need to find their own comfort zone.  Some can realize their humble money earning goals by only working 2 hours per day, others might need to work 4-5 hours per day to bring their income to the desired level.

How I started my self-employed career

When I was 33 years old I realized that I could no longer sustain a 40 hour work week as an employee due to the mental and physical strain it imposes on you.  Especially when that 40 hours becomes 55 hours so easily with driving to and from work.  But since North America is not a place where good paying part-time jobs are a realistic option, the only choice I had was to start something on my own that would allow me to cut down the time worked drastically.  I assume that most people with a “soft” constitution will know what I mean by not being able to happily and healthily maintain a full-time job and the stress it puts on you.  “Tougher” people will not feel the burden and that is also why most people that start their own business early in life belong to the “not-so-tough” crowd.

My first 11 years as a full-time employee had put me in the construction supply field.  Things such as windows, doors, glass, flooring, and other construction related hardware.  I used that knowledge and experience to come up with an idea of what I could be selling as my own boss.  The first thing that came to me was to start a art glass company – supplying Stained Glass and Sandblasted Glass to the public.  That lasted 4 months and I realized that the demand for artistic glass was definitely not at an all-time high in 2013 – in fact it is diminishing even now.  Then I stumbled across European Interior Doors that were made in Germany and Italy to be exact.  I thought I should try selling those.  And so I started and have been doing that ever-since.  In the last 5 years, I ended up working on average about 2-3 hours per day with a net (take-home) pay of about $2,500 per month.

Steps to succeed

Here are the steps needed to succeed in your own business.  I wish I would have known all of them beforehand but I only realized some of them later on.  The list of steps is below and I hope that you will be able to take what you need for yourself and make it work.

1. Have some money saved-up

You need to have some of money saved-up for the start-up phase which I believe to be the first year of business.  If you keep on working as an employee during the first year, you might not need any or very little capital.  If you want to stop working right away, I suggest to have enough money to sustain your living expenses (rent, food, phone, etc.) for one year.  If you keep on working in the first year, I suggest to have $5,000 in your savings account.  I believe the $5,000 will be enough to give you access to a fairly broad range of business types.

2. Pick something to sell that does not require high-volume sales

Then you need to pick the type of business that you like and  you think will earn you a living by the end of the first year.  You can sell either a tangible product (i.e doors in my case) or a service (i.e. SEO-services, design-services, translation-services, etc), it does not matter.  But whatever you pick, it does need to be high-priced enough to avoid needing to sell at a high-volume.  The key to working less time in a business is to avoid a large amount of orders/contracts.  Ideally you want to pick something where you can earn your monthly goal (let;s call it $2,000) with just one order.  That might not always be possible with any type of commodity or service but aim for it at least.

3. Pick something that can be outsourced

Make sure that whatever you pick to sell in your business, can be outsourced (either service or commodity).  You do not want to be caught laboring hours and hours to fulfill an order.  That would definitely defeat the purpose of wanting to work less.  So, in my case, I do not make the actual doors myself – I order them from a supplier.

4. Pick something that can be sold Continent or even World Wide

Whatever you selling item is, make sure you can supply it over a wide area and not just locally.  You will limit yourself if you think local only.  So, if you are based in Canada, for example, make sure that you can at least supply to all of North America.  For service oriented businesses that is much easier than for physical goods which need to be shipped.

5. Start a Website for your business

You will need to start a business website for yourself right away.  Pick a website design software like wordpress or weebly, for example, that is easily learned.  Pick a hosting company like bluehost or hostgator that is relatively cheap.  The goal is to pay less than $200 for the entire first year.  Your website does not need to be grand at first (like amazon or the like) but have at least 4 pages with the landing page / home page being the biggest and most informative (I suggest 2,000 words on the home page).

6. Get going with SEO for your Website immediately

The faster people find you service or commodity online the better.  I suggest you learn how to do SEO (Search Engine Optimization) right away to be completely independent.  Hiring a professional SEO company or person can be costly.  I have had success with doing some SEO work myself and having the rest done by a low priced professional company.  I think having to spend $1,000 on SEO in the first year is realistic and necessary.  Most other people think you should spend a lot more on marketing but I think you can succeed even on a $1,000 budget.  Keep in mind that spending a lot of money on SEO and having extremely good google search rankings means more people see your website.  In some cases this is a bad thing (you think I am crazy right now, I know) because more people emailing and calling you means more work for you.  Since you are aiming to make your money with the least amount of orders, you do not need to be dealing with hundreds of potential customers per month.

7. Sell to your best ability

The last step is the actual work required to sell the items or service which is where all the working hours are spend.  You want to make the most of every customer when you engage them via phone or email.  Do you best to sell your product.  Once you have an order, you need to fulfill it.  You will need to order the product or service from your supplier and deliver it to your customer as fast as possible.  Efficiency is the key to succeed in this vital last step.  You can do everything right in the setting-up part (steps 1-6) of the business and fail in this last part (step 7).

Tips and Tricks on being self employed

• learn from your mistakes and make changes immediately
  • learn to spot slow, inefficient suppliers
  • learn how to spot difficult customers and time wasters
  • focus on the good customers only
  • charge a little extra to have money left over to solve your good customers’ issues easily
  • don’t let your suppliers “wine and dine” you – it’s usually not worth your time
  • website traffic must supply enough customers – otherwise increase your marketing
  • Do your own taxes – it will save you a lot of money
  • Do not hire employees – only hire outside help on a contractual basis
  • Do not invest money in expensive transportation or machinery – rent it when necessary

Final Thoughts

I know that can be possible for many of the currently full-time employed men and women to quit their job and start working for themselves.  I know that it might be hard at times and you need to be frugal enough to get by sometimes (especially in the beginning).  But in the end you will have a job that you can to some extend control and where you can take that 1 month vacation – maybe twice or three times a year.  So, if you are a conscientious human being that suffers at your current tedious and inefficient full-time job, consider going solo and see what happens.  And if you are afraid, don’t be, full-time jobs will always be there in case you fail.

Author:  Jony Hubert (a flush door and frameless door and invisible door lover)

Life in Germany vs Live in the USA and Canada

To Live in Germany or to Live in the US/Canada

I am currently travelling in Europe including Germany, Austria and Italy.  I am spending most of my time in Germany (due to being fluent in German).  I am living in the North East (Mecklenburg-Vorpommern) as well as the South (Bayern and Baden-Wuerttenberg).  This gives me a good average of the entire country in terms of living styles.  Having spend 23 years in North America has nearly made me forget how good people in Germany really have it compared to the US and Canada.  Where would I rather live?

Germany, of course, hands-down.  And here is why.

Smarts – Intelligence – Speed of Mind

The very first thing I noticed is the response time of Germans vs North Americans.  Germans are just lightning fast in answering your questions, driving, ringing your items through at the grocery store, making appointments at the dentist, etc.  You name it – wherever you look, you see an urgency that North America does not have.  Americans are really rather dull and slow.  Sounds harsh but it certainly is true.  I am waiting 3 times longer in America till I have paid my stuff at the grocery store.  I hear kids talking in Germany and from what I can gather a 10 year old child in Germany thinks and talks like a 13 year old in America.  I think especially the American/Canadian elementary school system leaves kids slower-minded than they could be.  The overall feeling is one of aliveness (if there is such a word) in Germany and slow-poke attitudes in NA (North America).  I really appreciate the speed and awareness in Germany – it makes so many thing so much simpler.

Driving Competency

Well, Driving, that is not a new issue.  But here the Germans shine.  People on the roads know what they doing.  The reason might be because you actually have to through rigorous training here before you get your license.  And I can also see that the Germans can be trusted to obey the rules of the road whereas North Americans are always a little self-serving.  I have yet to drive behind a single slow driver here in Germany whereas in America you hit a selfish slow-poke driver routinely.  NA seems to have this non-spoken attitude that everyone should just do as they please on the road (and in other places), no matter what is right and what is wrong.  I really appreciate that I can depend on the German people not to take the right-of-way from me or choose to drive 30 km/h in a 50 km/h zone.

Grocery Store Selection and Prices

The average North American has probably no idea of how little selection they have when it comes to Groceries.  If you leave out all the imported European Items in a North American Grocery Store, you have a very limited amount of foods left in NA.  I can buy 50 types of cheese here in Germany in a regular run-of-the-mill store.  How many can you buy in Walmart or Safe-Way in NA?  I can tell you what North American cheeses you can buy:  Mild Cheddar, Medium Cheddar, Aged Cheddar and then you got your Havarti and Monterrey Jack.  That is pretty much it – pretty sad.

But Cheese is just one example.  Take sausages or bread or yogurt or wine or beer or water or pop or chocolates.  Especially bread is something that you have an endless choices of here in Germany.  And I am not talking about toast – actual real bread and buns and prezels.  All different shapes and sizes and with different baking methods.  All of them delicious.

Why is the North American selection so terrible?  And why is nobody saying anything?  Do US and Canadian residents like to eat sub-standard things?  Is a Kraft Processes Cheese Slice on a toasted White Wonderbread really all that people can think off?

All that being said, I appreciate to have a choices of a wide variety of different, good tasting foods in Germany.  I am not looking forward to have to go back to NA, believe me.

Enjoyment of Life (not Work)

North Americans are notorious for working to much – or I should say focusing on work too much.  To achieve great things in your own economy does not require to over-focus on work.  ‘You work to live’ and ‘you don’t live to work’ is the attitude in Germany.  I can see that people here are relaxed and do not think of work after they come home at 3-4pm.  People get at least 5 weeks paid vacation and also take the time off.  They do not have to pre-work or catch up with the work that accumulated during their time-off.  I see that problem in NA all the time.  Yes you have 2 weeks paid vacation (2 WHOLE weeks, believe it or not)) but probably have to do some added catch-up work when you get back.  I know I have been there.

Germans have hobbies and enjoy a coffee and cake in the afternoon.  And the work attitude does not suffer from it.  If anything people WANT to do a good job at work because of all the good things their employers give to them.  I suffer greatly from the suffocating work-environment in NA.  There is a lot of blah-blah-blah and not much efficiency in the company environment in the US or Canada.

A quick example will demonstrate the schedule difference between Germany and NA:

School starts at around 7:30am and ends at around 12:30pm.  Many companies work from 6:00am to 2:30pm.  and many more companies offer part-time jobs so mothers can be home with their kids around lunch time.  As you can see, a smart kid in Germany can have his chores done by 1:30pm (incl. homework).  An adult is ready for coffee or tea at 4pm.  In NA you have a system that leaves people with no time for anything but eating and sleeping apart from work.  When I went to High-School in NA I came home from school at 3:30pm and had my home-work done by 4:30pm if I was fast.  Adults generally come home between 5:00-6:00pm leaving only time to buy groceries, cook and have maybe 2 hours of free time in the evening.

The NA lifestyle is a breeding ground for unhappiness that Americans are trying to combat by buying, buying and buying even more things nobody needs.  I appreciate the views on how to handle work (and school) in Germany.

Final Thoughts

There are many more things that could be discussed but for now I will leave it at that.  Maybe some people in the US or Canada will think about it.  The world certainly does not start and end in America or Canada.

Author:  Jony Hubert (a Frameless Interior Door lover)

Drinking and Driving – Where is Justice?

Drinking and Driving – Justice must prevail

Picture this:

There is a certain location in your neighbourhood where cars often have accidents – maybe a T-intersection or sharp turn in the road. Often these accidents are deadly for the driver (and sometimes for the passengers as well).

This time around the accident involved a young man in his early twenties. He drank too much, sped through the night and ran right into the lamp post. He dies on the scene.

The family hears about it – they are grieve stricken.

The friends find out – they cannot believe it.

Everybody brings flowers to the accident site. Many leave notes and RIP cards – they read: “We will miss you – you were such a great person and we had so many good times together.”

The world is so unfair – their son and best friend is dead and he was so very young.

Even the local newspaper has a page on the accident: “Local man dies in car crash – friends and family mourn”

One would be tempted to feel badly for the poor young man and all the grieve-stricken people that he leaves behind.

STOP!

Has everybody gone crazy? Why is it so incredibly hard for people to be honest in all of this?

A drunk driver has just crashed his car and dies – is this not just? In fact, he could have easily killed someone else in the process – an innocent pedestrian or passenger maybe.  Why do we shut our minds to the great evil of irresponsibility that has just happened here?

But what do we get? We do not hear a single word about how his being drunk caused all this.  Is this not his just reward?  You read the newspaper, you listen to his friends and family and nobody even thinks to say that the dead young man brought this on himself and might have even killed more people in the process.

I believe, in fact, that if someone would confront the family and friends and point out the truth, they would have to fear for their health (and life maybe).

If there should be any sign at all on the scene, it should read: “We are very, very sorry that our son (or friend, etc) could have killed someone innocent because he drank and drove.”

Conclusion:

We will NEVER learn unless we are honest and say things as they are. It might be unpleasant but it has to be done. Because unless you face the fact that there is something wrong, you will never fix anything – you will never learn anything.  The pink goggles will stay on – you are happy to keep on believing a lie.

There is absolutely nothing unfair about getting what you deserve – in fact, if there is justice in the world, you MUST get what deserve.

You might say: “But what about mercy?”

I would say: “Yes, mercy is quite possibly THE most important act of all but mercy belongs to those who admit their wrongs and not to those who hide them.”

Author:  Jony (a Frameless Interior Door connoisseur)

sugar addiction

Sugar Withdrawal – Addiction to the Modern Day Poison

Sugar Addiction is Real

Let nobody tell you that sugar and carbohydrate addiction and the inevitable withdrawal is not real.  I have seen it in myself and many, many others.  Sugar and refined carbs are the modern day poison of the world.  With them we feel happy and content.  Without them we feel sad and grumpy.  Through refined carbs, the world has us in its grip – call it a conspiracy if you must.  You would probably be fairly close to the truth.

What does sugar addiction and withdrawal feel like?

Not everybody perceives sugar addiction the same way.  In fact some would say there is no such thing.  I would argue that the naysayers are so charged up on refined carbs that they never really hit a low (since they never stop eating them throughout the day).

The realisation of addiction is only perceived by the feeling of withdrawal.  In other words, you never knew how good you had it until you feel the lack.

So here are my personal withdrawal symptoms that I have learned to associate with a decrease in sugar intake:

• feeling sad
  • feeling angry
  • not knowing what to do
  • feeling lost
  • very emotional about the smallest things
  • starting to cry suddenly (with tears and all)
  • tense back and shoulders
  • shaky hands
  • weak legs (especially thigh muscles)
  • loss of interest in your hobbies (strange but true)

The list could be extended, of course, but lets leave it at that.  I would say that the feelings associated with the loss of sugar and carbs are intense and can be border-line suicidal.

Who introduced foods that can cause such an array of issues?

The food industry, of course.  Another conspiracy theory?  I would say no.  Just the truth as we can see with our own eyes when we walk through any supermarket.  Aisles and aisles of sweet things – I would dare to guess that 75% of all processed and manufactured foods and even fruits have high doses of sugar (in its many forms).  The food industry knows full well how potent the continual intake of refined foods is and has a vested interest in keeping us coming back.

Why is this sugar drug not taken more serious?

An excellent question.  I can only guess that the general populous does not want to think much and keeps looking away.  The only reason we do hear about the problem with sugars and refined carbs is because people get fat so easily (sounds harsh but it is the truth).  But I do not believe that putting on the pounds is the real culprit.  However, emotional and physical withdrawal symptoms (as listed above) are.  They can cause much more pain to oneself and others than just being overweight.

What are solutions to the sugar problem?

First and foremost, the problem needs to be addressed by more people.  And I do not mean just overweight people.  Any person that knows anything about healthy eating should bring this topic up with their friends and family.  The non-thinking part of the population needs to be kicked in the arse and shown how bad the food industry really screws us over by keeping us in a sugar feeding frenzy.

And yes, you can eat better and avoid all refined foods for a good while but that is not the answer in the long run.  People are just not strong enough to withstand the power of bad foods (sugar and company) for very long.  So, I believe the answer lies elsewhere.

There must be a push to abolish refined sugars and carbs.  Sounds crazy, I know.  But if you do not push for it, it will always haunt you.

What the average person needs to do to make a difference

I would urge everyone to go 1 month without any kind of sugar which includes:

• White Sugar
  • Brown Sugar
  • White Refined Flower in all its forms
  • all manufactured foods (cans, boxes, frozen meals, cereals, etc)

The focus should simply be on:

• Food that is in its most natural form (e.g. peas, lentils, buckwheat, etc)
  • Raw Dairy, Vegetables, Fruits (not commercially grown)
  • Good meat without hormones such as wild fish and chicken or beef

During this one month you should see a drastic change in your mental state.  And you will shed weight fast (at least I do).  You might think you are starving but that is not so.  You will get more and more aware of what is going on in the food world and in the world in general.  You will feel different and more driven to change.  That is a good thing, believe me.

So, start by giving up the sweet things and you will see that a whole new world awaits, where your perception of things will change for the better.  It is a start, anyways.

Author:  Jony (a hidden door lover)