Millionaire Basement Wars!!

Hey everyone!

In light of us beginning Lanchester’s “Capital”, I thought I’d share this 2015 BBC documentary “Millionaire Basement Wars” I saw about a year ago.

I thought it was especially relevant to the prologue of “Capital” because it’s about the maximization of property value in the heart of London, one of the most expensive places to live in the world. Mega-basements are being built, much like along Pepys Road in the novel, for houses already valued for millions of pounds. The excavation additions, of course, only add more value. The areas covered by the documentary include Kensington and Chelsea, and covers the rapid growth of subterranean building along its streets. Much like how the houses in “Capital” are described to have had “become central actors in their own right” (12), “as if they had come alive, and had wishes and needs of their own” (13), the houses along Kensington and Chelsea are trophy asset purchases, and are significant enough to justify a documentary! They are definitely the main actors, here. While there is an attempt to regulate the number of excavations, there are, in short, constant trucks and construction along the narrows roads, and never-ending complaints from residents about the noise and disturbances. Applications for excavations are absolutely backed up. Though the main motive for the excavations is to further the property value (often doubling the original value) by adding things like cinemas, gyms, and waterfalls, it nevertheless seems ridiculous how peace and quiet in a residential neighbourhood has been exchanged for never-ending and excessive commodification! It really does seem like houses are the ones living on the streets, and not the residents.

Anyway, just thought this would be interesting to share! I would love to hear any further thoughts!