Week 7 [Cien Años de Soledad]

As someone who speaks Spanish and was aware of the difficulty and often complication that tags along this book, I needed to prepare. Of course, I had heard that it was a complex book to write, and I attribute most of it to the fact that most characters often share the same names. Having a genealogical tree did not help as much as you would think. It is an intentional and cunning way of trapping a reader into a story. It not only becomes a personality trait or a defining characteristic that follows a book but compels them t be more present and more enrolled with the text when reading it. Failing to be attentive can cause the reader to miss the plotline entirely.

Something I will say that got me is that for a couple of seconds, I was not sure if incest was occurring. It was such a confusion that I had going with these names that the more I thought about it, the more it started to make more and more sense that there was incest in Moncado.

Something I found interesting about the book was the contrast that you get at the beginning of the book when Maconado is portrayed as this isolated magical place that only knows the things and people within its borders. And then it becomes just like anything else, and depending on where you’re standing, you could say that Maconado was either a better or a worse place because of it.

That seems like a metaphor, either intentionally or accidentally. It’s meant to mirror aspects of more modern society. Whether you want to look at it as Maconado being an unglobalized world or a technologically lacking one, I presume it takes a dig either at globalization or the advancements in technology and how it not only “facilitates” life but also creates more and more complex, out of scale complex just as the civil war fell upon Mancado. Because yes, before the little town mingled with the rest of society, their artefacts and knowledge were limited and scarce, but they were not in the middle of a civil war.

At some point, I questioned the purpose of making a novel or a book so purposefully hard, following that line of thought. My question for you this week is as follows.

What literary purpose or meaning do you find for Gabriel Garcia Marquez to write Cien Años de Soledad in such a complicated manner?

« »