Tomorrow

I’m gonna teach a little bit tomorrow but I probably won’t focus too heavily on the content of the text I picked out specifically–mainly because it’s the only one that has yet to pique anyone’s interest (at least in the blogs.) Can’t say I’m surprised.

I find all the documents that were chosen to be quite related, actually. They all succinctly identify structural problems that we endure/reproduce/maintain. Despite our (obvious) differences I get the feeling that we all care about critically engaging with these concepts/realities. So, mainly, I’m hoping to facilitate a mini discussion about something we haven’t explored that much, if at all, this term which is: how can we apply what we’re learning about in this classroom practically to our daily lives? Additionally, or maybe, specifically, what exactly can we learn from within academia, which is not separate but functions in conjunction with all the harmful structures we’ve already identified?

I’m reminded of the Audre Lorde quote, “the master’s tools will never dismantle the master’s house.”

I know that Jon said, at least in regard to Fire From the Mountain that school for Cabezas was a place where he was able to meet people who eventually became political allies, etc. And that’s not untrue. Certainly in that story and in that case that was true. But should we be re-evaluating the idea that academia might fill that role now, given what we know about social media (and the internet in general.)  For all the harm it does it certainly makes connecting with others, specifically others who may share your passions/ideologies, very easy to do. A good website/Instagram account/Twitter/hashtag/whatever might do a better job than four years struggling through your undergraduate.

Obviously that’s not true for everyone, but I definitely feel that, for the most part, I’ve only met people who sadden and enrage me. (Which, yes, may say more about me at this point.)  Getting saddened and enraged is helpful in it own way, but I can’t imagine looking at UBC for any help dismantling these systems.

I think this could be because increasingly I feel even I am being trained out of my rage. Or, to channel my rage into five succinct paragraphs, a thesis and a bibliography.

I really appreciated the other texts that were chosen for this week, specifically the “What is Canada” one. Excited to see what you all have to say.

One thought on “Tomorrow”

1. “how can we apply what we’re learning about in this classroom practically to our daily lives?” I look forward to this discussion. I certainly hope we haven’t lost sight of this issue!

And I look forward also to a discussion of rage. (Plus I wonder if there’s a difference between “rage” and the “anger” that is the term Ahmed uses.)