Sue M’s UBC MET E-Portfolio

ETEC565A – Section 66C – Summer 2009

#8: Synthesis Reflection

with one comment

1-2 paragraph précis of your flight path (5) 

In my E-Portfolio Flight Plan – I identified various resources I required in order to achieve my goals for ETEC565A.  During this course, I have certainly had “access to recent, relevant articles, studies, reports, etc., and an opportunity to review example of learning technologies implemented in sample or authentic courses, access to new tools and systems with the ability to interact and gain hands-on experience and an opportunity to learn how to infuse learning technology enhancements into an example course (practice implementing new tools/software).”

During ETEC565A, I have gained knowledge and experience that has enabled me to reach the goals I identified, including, learning “to incorporate active learning techniques and synchronous communications to help address diverse learning patterns and multiple communication styles and preferences; develop skills to assist learners to make connections to their prior knowledge/experiences and share these with their class participants as a means of building knowledge together; explore ways to assess higher-order skills, in online courses and develop methods for authentic, relevant self-assessment; discover ways to personalize and customize learning activities to address multiple learning styles and diverse ways of knowing and communicating; and select and use social software tools to enhance individual and collective learning experiences. Literature referenced, Chickering, A.W. and Ehrmann, S.C. (1996) and Chickering, A.W. and Gamson, Z.F. (1987).

Reflection on your eLearning toolkit experience overall (5)

Links available in the e-Learning Toolkit provided the much needed hands-on guidance and opportunity to explore various new technologies.  This approach used in ETEC565A enabled me, as a self-directed learner, to choose to focus my time and effort on those technologies that were of greatest interest and most applicable to my practice.  As I am already very familiar with Learning Management Systems, Web Design and HTML Authoring, I briefly perused the resources provided in these areas.  I then spent more focused attention on the educational application of new-to-me technologies such as social software and web logs, which led me on an extensive review of literature about Social Media including, Educational Blogging, E-Learning 2.0 and characteristics, expectations, and challenges of teaching learners from the Net Gen.

While working through the e-Learning Toolkit, I took the opportunity to read several related print-based resources I had collected over the last couple of years on online learning communities and interactive methodologies.  I was able to spend time connecting the hands-on experience I gained trying out several social software applications, with online articles and reports regarding the impact of implementing social media in a variety of educational contexts, while deepening my understanding of the pedagogical aspects, instructional strategies and potential applications that were relevant to courses I design and teach online.  This instructional methodology was perfect for my type of learning style/preference.  Hands-on experience supplemented by authentic reports and real-world examples, supported by theoretical concepts and personal reflection, really helped pull it all together and allowed me to see the relevance and applicability within my own practice.  Much appreciated!

Most memorable was how using educational web logs (blogs) increased the amount and quality of writing by learners.  As well, the potential to use social media software and story-telling tools for collaboration could expand the re-use of course materials and promote new derivations through shared development, thereby assisting with long-term sustainability related to the production of sophisticated learning objects and other interactivities.  Literature referenced, included: Alexander, B. (2006), Downes, S. (2004 and 2005), Frand, H (2005), Iverson, K. (2005). McGee, P. & Diaz, V. (2007). Richardson, W. (2004), Siemens, G. (2002), Wesch, M. (2007) and Wilson, C. & Heard, B. (2008).

Apply SECTIONS model to self-assess your portfolio, where applicable (5)

S-E-C-T-I-O-N-S – Bates, A.W. & Poole, G. (2003). Chapter 4: a Framework for Selecting and Using Technology. In Effective Teaching with Technology in Higher Education: Foundations for Success. (pp. 77-105). San Francisco: Jossey Bass Publishers.

S – Students: What is known about the students – or potential students – and the appropriateness of the technology for this particular group or range of students?

I am in the process of re-purposing a course developed in 2005 for delivery Fall 2009.  The purpose of the course is to provide an opportunity for course participants to develop an online learning community as they become familiar with the virtual classroom environment (through which all 20 courses in their diploma program will be delivered). Participants will increase their computer literacy as they learn the efficient use of software applications required to complete learning activities and assignments online.

The goalof the course is for learners to participate in various forms of online communications and web-based conferencing so they will be comfortable connecting, communicating and studying with classmates who will be completing other courses with them over the next two-four years in the diploma program. As well, transferable skills will enable learners to participate in provincial web conferences and webcasts facilitated by the Ministry of Health, and they will be able to work collaboratively online with other practitioners.

Given the course purpose and desired learning outcomes, I investigated the appropriateness of integrating Synchronous Communicationswith this target audience.  I have experienced the benefits of real-time, live communications with individuals and groups learning from a distance.  However, I enhanced my understanding of both theoretical and practical aspects of implementing synchronous communications, which will greatly assist with my re-design of this course.  Based on what I have learned through this study, I will be incorporating more real-time, live communication activities to assist with the development of an online learning community.  Literature referenced included, Adria, M. & Campbell, K (2007), Murphy, E. & Laferriere, T. (2007) and Schwier, R. & Dykes, M. (2007). 

E – Ease of use and reliability: How easy is it for both teachers and students to use?
How reliable and well tested is the technology?

The technologies I used to complete course requirements are well established, easy to use (intuitive and user friendly) and reliable, such as the Learning Management System (LMS) proposed(Moodle) for my online course project and in which I developed the online course site for ETEC565A.

C – Costs: What is the cost structure of each technology?  What is the unit cost per learner?

Moodle is open source, which means there is no cost for licensing the software.  There are costs associated with hosting online courses with Moodle, such as servers, infrastructure and support costs.  Our IT department as an essential service provides these, so there is no additional cost for me to re-engineer this online course and integrate new activities such as those I designed and shared in my reflection on Communication Tools and Assessment Tools, except my time and effort.

T – Teaching and learning: What kinds of learning are needed? What instructional approaches will best meet these needs? What are the best technologies for supporting this teaching and learning?

Integration of various types of multimedia and interactivities, as outlined in my Multimedia Inventory, will increase learner engagement with the content, with the Instructor and with other course participants.  Illustrations,  interactive media, flash animations, a variety of images will address the needs and preferences of visual learners; audio/visual presentations and instructional videos will support audio learners; and interactive software, myITlab, will address the needs and preferences of kinesthetic learners, while also providing real-world examples and authentic practice and assessments.  After exploring social media tools for Digital Story Telling, such as SlideRocket (http://www.sliderocket.com/), I would like to use this to illustrate and share interactive presentations for deconstructing procedures that require multiple steps.

I – Interactivity: What kind of interaction does this technology enable?

As discussed in my reflection on Communication Tools, a variety of communication activities will provide many opportunities for learners to connect with each other, share experiences and build knowledge together as an online learning community.  Based on new tools I have learned to use and new interactive strategies, the redesigned course will enable learners to participate in collaborative activities,  attend real-time, live web-based conferences, contribute to community resources, discuss in small group and reflect on their learning and its application to their specific context as they maintain and share personal learning journals.  These types of new interactions plus the engagement of learners in guided discovery and authentic interactions via social media and interactive software will help move this course towards an instructional methodology that is more in line with social constructivist learning environments and strategies.

O – Organizational issues: What are the organizational requirements and the barriers to be removed before this technology can be used successfully?  What changes in organization need to be made?

Some still believe that online courses should be extremely profitable – sufficient to fund other institutional initiatives, as opposed to being an essential service! There are huge barriers, if there is not a mission and mandate from senior management and a genuine commitment to the time, costs and effort required to produce quality technology-enriched education. (Bates and Poole, 2003).

Challenge stem predominantly from differences in educational philosophy.  Interestingly, even those who have been highly resistant and who have not listened to voices within the institution – are now being pushed by students who are demanding opportunities that are more flexible (in a time when recruitment and retention are a top priority, the “customers” are starting to be heard! Interesting times, but very political.

N – Novelty: How new is this technology?

Tools identified in my reflection on my investigation of Social Media, such Educational Blogging are not emerging technologies; they were new about six years ago.   However, implementation in my institute of higher education has been almost non-existent.  Moodle, our Learning Management System of choice, has a blogging feature within each course participant’s profile that allows either private or public (shared) blog entries.  Other social media I explored is new and still has software bugs, as identified in my reflection on Digital Story Telling.

S – Speed: how quickly can courses be mounted with this technology? 
How quickly can materials be changed?

Modules and activities in Moodle Learning Management System are easy to develop, given the process I described in my reflection on my approach to Building My Course in MoodleThis was a good activity, reflecting on my process for Instructional Design and online course development. It was beneficial for me to attempt to explain to others how I approach a new course.  This process and reflection helped me step back and review my strategies and their effectiveness and efficiency.  While explaining the technical aspects and procedures (task-oriented), I attempted to focus on the pedagogical aspects and theoretical underpinnings of my development practice.

Although assessment instruments are relatively easy to build and update in an LMS, I once again realized how time consuming it can be to design good questions tied to learning outcomes with various types of immediate and remedial feedback, as reflected upon in Reflection on Building an Assessment Instrument in Moodle.

Describe next steps for you, in terms of your practice in educational technology (5)

According to UBC:
(Retrieved June 30, 2009, from https://www.elearning.ubc.ca/home/index.cfm?menuClicked=4/&p=main/dsp_eport_index.cfm)

Folio thinking” promotes self-awareness, motivation, and direction and provides invaluable support to individuals in academic, professional, and social settings…

This has certainly been true in my case.  Although it was challenging at times to use a blogging system, such as WordPress, and to create “public” postings of my personal reflections.  Time to reflect on my practice and educational philosophy has been extremely beneficial, as has learning new theoretical concepts and new technical skills.  In addition, class discussions and feedback from classmates has been very insightful.  These can only enhance the practical application of theoretical concepts learned and newly developed knowledge and skills to the online courses I design, develop and deliver.

Assessing myself according to the competencies listed in the NETS 2008 document, NETS-T (for Teachers) and reviewing the NETS-S (for Students) as well as the Necessary Conditions documents assisted me to assess my skills, knowledge, experience and practice – it was extremely enlightening.  Even in areas where I would have considered myself strong, I see the need to do even more to meet the standards set by the ISTE.

While reviewing literature on Synchronous Communications, I encountered this quote:

Learner content interaction, if allowed to dominate a course, naturally emphasizes objectivist principles of learning and correspondence models of instruction. Learner-learner interaction, by contrast, emphasizes social constructivist models of learning. Moreover, the two, when in balance, offer learners the opportunity to co-create knowledge and the substance to guide their efforts.” (Schwier, R. & Dykes, M. 2007, p 160)

This resonated with me, and I have used this as a guide, a goal, for my online course design, as I completed the various activities and assignments in ETEC565A and as I contemplated the re-design of the course used in the final project.

Although this is my final course/project in the Master of Educational Technology program, I will continue to take courses in Online Teaching and Learning, in order to keep up to date with the latest developments, theories and methodologies in this discipline.  My goal is to continue investigating social networking software and social media in order to develop competent skills in their use, and to become part of the E-Learning 2.0 community to ensure I continue to be grounded in the theory that will contribute to the effective integration of these educational technologies, for the benefit or our learners.

References are located within each E-Portfolio Page or Blog Entry

A list is also available at:  https://blogs.ubc.ca/morrisonsetec565/references-in-e-portfolio/

Written by Sue M.

August 1st, 2009 at 11:13 pm

Posted in

One Response to '#8: Synthesis Reflection'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to '#8: Synthesis Reflection'.

1. Thank you……

Best wishes!Your blog is very good!…