#17: Second Week

1. What classes did you teach this week and what was the topic?

I taught Tech Ed 8 this week; I also kind of took over the safety portion of the lessons for the Senior Wood class. My SA did the junior wood, and I mirrored his lesson in the Senior Wood class.

2. What is going well? What is one thing about this week that caused you to feel good?

The grade 8s seem to stay on task, and I’m glad that all the students are doing well in the safety quizzes. The students need to get 80% on the safety quiz to be able to use the machine; the students who got below 80% came in during lunch time to redo the test. This puts accountability on the students to do well, or else they will have to use their own time to redo the quiz.

3. Did you experience any critical incidents this week? Describe at least one.

A critical incident I had was with a student in my Tech Ed 8 class. He is a identified student. He had two outbursts one for each consecutive day. The second day I had a 1on1 talk with him (with an EA there) to tell him the classroom expectations that I have, and also how he should be respectful towards others by not blurting out and distracting the whole class. He seemed to understand, and has calmed down significantly.

4. Where do you think you could use help? In what ways can we (school advisor and faculty advisor) help you?

I think what could help me improve is having some strategies to improve classroom management, especially regarding identified students or students with IEPs.

5. Identify feelings that you experienced this week and what caused them e.g., what are your thoughts and feelings about your students and colleagues this week?

I thought that this week went pretty well, and that it can only improve from here. The students seem to know what my expectations are, and they seem to be interested in learning new things about technology. I also felt pretty happy that students were looking for me for help when they needed help,
and that I could provide clear instructions so they all understand.

6. What question(s) are you pursuing this week? And have you found the answer and what is it? (For example: How does the international student system work in the school? What supports are in place for students who do not speak English?)

Some questions that I am pursuing this week is to see if I can think of new strategies to keep identified students on task and more interested in the topics that we will be learning.