My Philosophy of Teaching

My whole philosophy of teaching is based around inclusivity and social relationships. I feel that in this day and age, technology has become a large commodity and is even seen as a necessity. As technology becomes more easily accessible and common, many students are becoming accustomed to using technology in communication and relationships. I believe that by using technology in a way where students can think, design, build, and ultimately make their own unique project can be a great way to develop social skills and relationships; through group projects, friendly competition, and equal access to all tools and technologies available in the classroom, students can feel safe and included in the process of design and making, and ultimately feel part of a class community.

Community is an important aspect in the classroom. Slowly moving away from the top-down approach of classroom management, I feel that classroom community is what teachers and educators should thrive for. Community in the classroom can have many positive effects on how the class is run and taught; by being a facilitator rather than an all-knowing overseer of the classroom, students will feel more comfortable approaching you, being able to discuss aspects of their projects, and asking for critique. I feel that it’s all about empowering the students to push their own learning, being able to pursue their passions through technology by designing and making something that they are interested in, and achieving what they previously thought was not possible.

Although it is important for the teacher to teach the basics on how certain technology works and how to use it efficiently and safely, it is equally important for teachers to lead students to be able to drive their own learning. Be open to critique from students who take your class and change your lessons accordingly. Do not hesitate to ask students questions about their project, and get them to defend their actions. Run an open debate or discussion between students so they learn how to communicate effectively and respectfully with one another. These are all great tools to use in order to create an inclusive community in the classroom.

I am sure that as I start my teaching career, my own pedagogy and philosophy of teaching will change; however, I am confident that I will continue to actively pursue this view of having a classroom community, that enables students to be citizens of their own work, push their learning boundaries, and have a fun time doing it.