Week 1 of CFE: Rural Living

It has been an exciting and fulfilling first week here at Vanderhoof! If we are to talk about a completely new experience, this is it. Living in a small town such as Vanderhoof has so far been a very humbling and eye-opening experience. I have had a busy schedule with jumping from classroom to classroom. This week, I began team teaching in a Grade 1/2/3 classroom, where we started an insect inquiry unit. The students took charge of their own learning and built their own insect habitat in the classroom! We went on a bug hunt around the school and collected branches, leaves, and of course, insects! The students then chose their own insect to study and did some research on its life cycle. It has been wonderful to see how engaged the students are in doing their own research and learning about different insects every day.

IMG_20160608_084028557

From teaching in a rural classroom, I have noticed that there are some vast differences between teaching in a rural setting and an urban setting. Being in a school with less than 100 students means that the school community feels richer and more inclusive. Almost every student knows each other, including all of the 4 teachers. Every Friday, the teachers get some time to collaborate with each other to share resources! I have also noticed that the students are extremely hands-on and know many facts about the outdoors. Many students have shared stories of exploring the outdoors in the forest during their free time. They also have different responsibilities at home, which include feeding and taking care of their animals. I believe that this level of responsibility that is required from rural students affects how they learn and behave at school. Students take responsibility in their own learning and are highly interested in the topics that they explore in the classroom. They are not afraid to take risks or to try different things because they are used to doing that in their home life.

I have made some great connections with many of the students in the school. I have found that the students are open and love to share stories about their adventures outside of school. I can already tell that saying good bye to the students and staff will be very tough by the end of the three weeks.