Building a Classroom Community

“We never know which lives we influence, or when, or why.” ― Stephen King

Classroom Community is very important for me as an educator. I strongly believe that when students feel respected, welcomed and understood their ability and willingness to learn and grow will flourish beyond any expectations. This page shares some of the strategies I used in my classroom as a Practicum Student that helped my students come together as a community.

Chime Breathing:

Chime Breathing is an activity from the Mind Up curriculum created by The Hawn Foundation. I used this activity to bring calmness into the classroom and to allow for students to use this time to reflect on themselves. Chime Breathing was done three times daily in my practicum classroom, after morning announcements, recess and lunch. Even if students students struggled to achieve calmness, it was a time for quiet, which many of my students appreciated.

Feeling Circles:

During my practicum I implemented the Fin’s Friends program once a week. This program focuses on building basic character education and social responsibility. A huge element to this program was recognizing one’s feelings and being able to express those feelings in a problem situation. My class struggled with expressing themselves calmly and I found that this activity helped bring my class together as a community because they were able to understand that many of them feel similar emotions. It was also a great way to understand what made my students happy, sad, mad, anxious, etc.

Every time a feeling circle was done my class sat in a circle. We used a bean bag to signify the speaker as only the one holding the bean bag could share. While holding the bean bag the student was to use the statement “I feel…because…” and then gently pass the bean bag to the next student, going around the circle until everyone had a chance. It was amazing how respectful all my students were in waiting for their turn to speak and in listening to the feelings of their peers. At the beginning I had some of my more challenging students try to resist taking part in this activity, but by the end of the year all my students wanting to share.

As my class became more comfortable with the routine of this activity I had students lead the activity. It was amazing to see my shyest of students wanting to lead this activity and did so with such confidence and control. This activity did wonders in transforming the dynamics of my classroom.

Care Washes:

Care Washes are a great way to place the spotlight on a specific student and for them to be praised by their peers. This activity was introduced to me by my Faculty Adviser at UBC and is one that I will be sure to use regularly in my career as a teacher.

Pick one of your students to be the focus of the Care Wash. Have that student come to the front of the class and ask the rest of the class to think of one thing they like about that students. I usually challenge the class to try to think of something they think no one else will think of.

After providing the class some time to think have the students line up in two lines so that the students in both lines are facing each other, but leaving a walk way in between so the focus student can walk down. I would also take part in the Care Wash and join one of the lines. The focus student then walks to each individual in a zigzag pattern, alternating lines, the student/teacher take turns  saying his/her nice comment and the focus student moves on to the next person until he/she reaches the end.

The focus student then walks back through the pathway and as he/she does this the whole class gives this student a round of applause.

This activity is great for lifting the spirits of any students and reminds them all that they have important and special qualities that are being recognized by their peers and teachers.

Peaceful Corner:

“I Feel…” Statements: