Social and Emotional Learning

Social and Emotional Learning is based on developing social and emotional competencies in students using five core competencies: Self-Management, Self-Awareness, Responsible Decision-Making, Relationship Skills, and Social Awareness.

My experience at UBC as a teacher candidate has allowed me to understand the importance a student’s social and emotional well-being has on their ability to learn and be successful in the classroom. Ultimately by bring social and emotional learning into schools we are teaching our youngest citizens to be independent, responsible, aware, just and respectful individuals who are better equipped to handle the stresses of life they may face.

As a practicum student I included many social and emotional aspects both directly and indirectly in my lessons and daily classroom management. Implementing SEL into my practicum class transformed my students into self-aware, confident individuals and this is a path I plan to continue to take as I enter the teaching world.

For more information on SEL please click the image below which will direct you to the CASEL website.
What Is SEL?

From: CASEL Website