About Me

I am a Teacher Candidate from the University of British Columbia, Elementary focus in the Personalized Learning and Technology Cohort, graduating in August 2016.

In my current practicum I am working in a grade 2 classroom.  I have been establishing my teacher presence within the classroom since September and completed a two-week short practicum in November. I have developed lesson plans using the redesigned curriculum, which I tailored to my student’s needs and abilities. I have also had the opportunity to develop unit plans that I will use to facilitate my teaching in my 10-week practicum. I have been able to incorporate both theory and practical knowledge into both my lessons and classroom management.

Prior to my enrollment in the teacher education program I worked as a Special Education Teacher Assistant (SEA) in both independent and public school systems.  In my position as an SEA I had the opportunity to work in a number of diverse classrooms with students of varying abilities and needs. I was responsible for supporting students with special needs and learning deficits while collaborating together with the classroom teacher. In my undergraduate education I focused on higher level education courses and courses that expanded my critical thinking ability while challenging me both personally and intellectually.

My personal teaching philosophy stems from all of my prior experience in the classroom.  I believe that every student is unique and has the right to receive an education.  I would like to utilize personalized learning within my classroom and work toward each students achievement. As our modern world is constantly evolving and we are preparing students for jobs that may not have been created yet, I believe that integrating technology and 21st century learning in the classroom is essential.  Yet, I also believe that students should be introduced to media literacy at an early age.  I also believe in the importance of place based learning and getting our students outside.

I enjoy the inquisitive nature of students and the challenges that arise while supporting them on their quest for learning.  I have a passion for adventure and learning and hope to instil these passions in my own students.