CFE

Community Field Experience

For the last 3 weeks of our extended practicum we take part in a Community Field Experience.  It is a chance for us to get out of the ‘regular’ classroom environment and experience something new.  We had the option of completing it internationally, in rural British Columbia, or locally.  I leapt at the opportunity to experience an international CFE.  I wanted to be taken out of my comfort zone and go somewhere I had never been before.

I enthusiastically chose Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.

Growing up I always said that I wanted to go to Africa.  I wanted to run with the animals, explore the different landscape,  and teach English in a small community. As I matured my reasons changed.  Although I still would love to run with the animals, I know this is not a possibility.  I would still love to teach English in a small community but know that my responsibilities at home make this impossible at this time in my life.

The CFE enabled me to make this dream a reality.  I am able to travel to Ethiopia, immerse myself in the local culture, teach english at the local primary schools, and hopefully see an animal or two.

Stay tuned as my adventure begins and I take part in my Community Field Experience in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia!

Thank you!

ameseginalehu!

amesehgenalehu.jpg