Concert Journal 3- UBC High noon, REConnected

On Wednesday, March 13th, I was able to attend UBC’s high noon hour performance at the Barnet Hall to experience REConnected. Overall, this musical experience was one of the most unique experiences I have had, as it felt truly contemporary and interpretive to the listener. The performers were Daniel Tones, as a percussionist. He is widely known across Canada, the US, Asia, and the UK for his work in this genre of contemporary percussion, and it was a treat to witness someone of his calibre for a performance during a casual day of the week. Unfortunately, I had arrived just under five minutes late to the recital, as I was not able to hear them introduce themselves in the beginning.

The pieces performed were titled, To the Earth (1985) by Frederic Rzweski, A/Symmetry Ritual (2018) by Owen Underhill, Invisible Cities (1982) by Linda Catlin Smith, and Temazcal (1984) by Javier Alvarez. The piece which blew me away the most from this performance, was A/Symmetry Ritual. I had never previously known the technique and different styles which can be utilized to play all sorts of percussive instruments. The range of instruments used were wind-type whistles, shakers, drums, symbols, and the xylophone. The theme presented was quite contemporary, which is where I was able to understand how this genre can mean so many things, to whomever witnesses it.

In my own interpretation, the separate instruments of which Tones and Underhill kept rotating around, provided a sense of contrast, as if it were a double performance going on. As one would play a part, the other would wait and only join in on a vastly different percussive instrument when it was their turn. In a way, their different instruments could be interpreted as if they complimented each other. Alternatively, I also got the sense that these sounds were completely different and should not belong together. This theme had myself diving into what could have been their bigger message through this piece. Though sounds may appear to have no connection and compatibly with one another, this does not mean they cannot be played together. The only interpretation which matters, could be the listeners.

As a whole, I had never heard sounds being created in the manner which they were on stage. Tones displayed a unique image when he played the xylophone with four sticks, two in each hand. The entire score represented a sense of nature, as the serene setting depicted a therapeutic wall of sound. I also quite enjoyed the humour in these pieces, as the two artists did not take their unique percussive performance too seriously. It was a lighthearted affair with moments of laughter, involving odd sounds, when tension seemed to be built. To understand the way your music will be interpreted by audiences and to be playful with it, is a skill most performers aren’t able to utilize. The foundation of this made me believe that this show could be displayed as Intermezzi, in the early days of theatre and Opera seria, as it was unique and jovial.