Concert Journal 5 – Showcases at Guilt and Co. and The Arts Connection

For my final concert journal, I wanted to contribute my experiences at two separate showcases for talent in the community, and ultimately share how these two events have reinforced a sense of appreciation in music for myself and the individual experiences which each of us take away in those moments.

The first event was on Tuesday, March 5th, at a vibrant bar in Gastown, called Guilt and Co. The event that night was coined “Under the Harlem Moon”, and showcased songs which fit within that theme of music from the 70s’ to 80’s. What made this performance even more special, was that two of my friends (boy and girl) were performing with their band, called ‘Tiffany and the Dreams’. For one of whom, this was a special guest performance. The band playing behind my friends consisted of a lead guitar, bass, drums, keyboard, and a few backup vocalists. Contributing to the theme of this performance, which allows it to stand out compared with any random bar performance, was that my friends and their band chose to interpret these songs in the 70s and 80s, through an R&B lens. This ultimately, added to the experience by detailing and capturing how songs can be re-envisioned and told with different sensations and emotions behind the narrative. A few of the songs performed by the group were; All I Do by Stevie Wonder, Closer I Get to You by Roberta Flack ft. Donny Hathaway, Rock with You by Michael Jackson, and September by Earth Wind and Fire. This performance showcased more modern sounds and elements, through the bands colouring of the tracks.

For the final showcase, I attended a talent-show at the Arts Connection, in Richmond, on Saturday, April 13th. It is an extra-curricular based program for kids, where they can take all forms of lessons in musical instruments, voice, and dance. I was able to hear about this event, as one of my other friends is a vocal and piano instructor there. This performance was special, as not only did several young students share their talents and how they interpret such high-level classical music at an early age, but the instructors performed alongside them, as well as in their own sets. This was done, to illustrate the point that music is for everyone, and at every level of experience, there is always space to grow and share. I was deeply impressed at the level of technique of the kids performing, but was more so astonished at the emotion that was conveyed beyond their skills. Whether through song or instrument, you could feel that they understood the written and unwritten language of their pieces, as it meant something to them. One female vocalist performed Chanson d’Amour, by Gabriel Faure, while another performed A Faded Letter, by William Gillock, on the grand piano. A piece which really stood out was performed on violin, by a young boy, Allegro Brilliante, by Ten Have. I could witness the subtleties in his strokes on the violin, and could only imagine the detail and patience it would take one to acquire such skills. Hearing some of these classical pieces live, rather than on a tape or online, left the listener such as myself, with the appreciation for experiencing it in its truest form, in a hall which is designed to capture the best sound and acoustics.